Full length rack noise

vfly172

Observer
Is the full size front runner or rhino rack louder or quieter than the front runner half rack? I'm close to buying a rack, and trying to see which way to go. Thanks.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I found the FR full length rack had a bit of a whistle at +35 MPH. Almost anything that is in the wind on your roof defeats the smooth lines of the vehicle and will probably make some wind noise. I try to keep the top hole closed on the LR to avoid most of the racket.
I think the size of the rack would depend on what you intend to carry. My OZ tent just fits on the full length rack, smaller would not cut it.

Pophamrt1

If you're concerned about wind noise you might also consider the factory LR3/4 rack, but cut down to remove the upper sections. It lays flush against the roof rails and since its all aluminum weights all of 4--50 lbs, but is very, very strong. It's dead quiet; I've never heard any noise from it in that configuration, even at 70+ mph. It's actually pretty quiet even with a rooftop tent on it. You can usually find them used for $4-500 and removing the upper section just requires drilling out some rivets.

colb45

Observer
I have never ever seen the OEM rack for that price.

x2, I run a full size Voyager rack (contractor style) minimal wind noise, plus a 50" light bar. Can kinda hear it when the music is off, but after driving a Jeep for 60,000km+++ daily on the highways im deaf anyways... :ROFLMAO:

I get wind noise when i have the RTT on the top.. but that thing is like adding a sail to the top of the LR

keeper1616

Observer
I run a full size front runner rack. I have found that if I keep ******** on it, it's quieter. Yeah, it surprised me too. Even just a pair of max-traxx up there disrupt flow enough that its quieter than without anything up there.

GORM

Adventurer
Hey, no doubt, the road noise on the full size front runner rack on my LR3 is noticeable. My AT tires likely help too. I will say, the quietest my Rack has ever been was when I carted 2 canoes on the roof. That said, I’m very happy with my FR Rack.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
2011, 2008, 2008

I don't see how that data set is helpful to someone asking about roof racks now in 2018. You said you can "usually find them" but he can't go back in time to when they were more common and better priced. It's a fair comment, those racks are very nice but compared to everything else it will be old, used, and expensive.

Baja FWIW was not bad on noise at all. My understanding of the FR one is the horizontal bars with no front to back bars creates a lot of noise, but they have better wind shields now.

Last edited:

no-pistons

Adventurer
I have the full length Rhino Rack. It is fairly noisy but it’s not unbearable. I have gotten used to it. They informed me that they were working on a wind deflector for it, but I haven’t seen anything released yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vfly172

Observer
Thanks for all the feedback. Always nice to hear first hand experience. I was trying to decide whether or not it was worth it to save a few hundred and not getting the prospeed. I know what Ray would say ...

Pophamrt1

2011, 2008, 2008

I don't see how that data set is helpful to someone asking about roof racks now in 2018. You said you can "usually find them" but he can't go back in time to when they were more common and better priced. It's a fair comment, those racks are very nice but compared to everything else it will be old, used, and expensive.

Baja FWIW was not bad on noise at all. My understanding of the FR one is the horizontal bars with no front to back bars creates a lot of noise, but they have better wind shields now.

Well Disco, like they say... "even a blind pig eventually finds an acorn." I guess I just got lucky last year; mine was cheap, easy to find, great condition, and rocks. They're definitely still out there.

anglotron

Observer
I used to have a full length FR rack and found the noise to be unbearable and hit to fuel economy unacceptable. Sold it and now just have 3 FR crossbars mounted on their foot kit and it's more than enough for mounting maxtraks and a couple of jerry cans to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles