Fuel/Water can holder on LR3 rear tire carrier

perkj

Explorer
As some of you know, I recently added a spare tire carrier swing arm to my LR3 ( http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/76331-Completed-rear-tire-swing-carrier-for-my-LR3 ). I decided to take a chance utilizing Columbia Overland's "Land Rover Discovery II Spare Tire Jerry Can Holder" since the D2 has the same bolt pattern as the LR3. Sure enough it fit perfectly!! see pictures below.

7100546055_0f105bf458_c.jpg

6954478090_5f5c09f1f2_c.jpg

7100544665_a2f08b0dab_c.jpg

7100547659_a934150119_c.jpg

7100545409_f108d95e52_c.jpg

When I ordered up the holder from CO they said I was getting their last one as they decided to discontinue it. Unfortunate because it a nicely built unit at reasonable price.

Last edited:

perkj

Explorer
Are there any problems concerning road holding, handling etc. regarding the outboard weight...?.?

Norm.

To be honest I've only used this water/gas carrier once on my tire swing out for 2 reasons: (1) Typically when I'm going 4x4 camping I'm bringing 3 water cans and 1 gas can and I end up tossing them all up on the roof rack. (2) I had been a bit nervous adding an extra 40 lbs to the rear tire carrier since I didn't want to add too much stress to the hinge spinal. The spinal I have is the A-Z Fabrication MEGA-DUTY HINGE KIT which is rated up to 37" tires with Jerry can holders or cargo carriers, so the spinal should hold the single can just fine...I've just been conservative (read worry freak) and not wanting to push it. Last thing I'd want is the spinal to snap and see my tire carrier separate from the car :) I've had zero issue with the tire carrier over over last 2.5 years since its been on the LR3 so I now have full confidence in it carrying the can, just haven't had a need to yet.

The time I did use it, I didn't notice any road handing issues....keep in mind the LR3 is a beast when it comes to how much the rig weighs and 41 lbs isn't going to make much of a difference

I am considering moving to the Tactical Rover bumper, but at this point its just hard to justify given the one I built is working so good. If I do end up going with the TR bumper, I would have them add a 2nd swing arm on the driver side to hold 2 Jerry cans.

unseenone

Explorer
Zombie thread, that's hilarious. You would also note, his roof rack has two slots that fit 2 scepter 5gl gas/water cans perfectly.

Which ladder did you use, I think I'm about due for a ladder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz