Fuel can storage

SameGuy

Observer
I'm wondering what everyone does with their empty fuel cans. I spend a week in the maze district of Canyonlands and brought along 20 gallons of extra fuel. Wound up needing about 12 but I had a warm fuzzy the whole time not worrying about running out. Back home and my brand new Wavian jerry cans have been emptied, well mostly. There is a little tiny bit of gas still left in them. Wondering if the last little bit left in each can is anything to worry about when I use them again. These cans seal fantastically so currently they are sealed, should I leave them that way or open them up, upside down or something to keep the dust out? I would guess there is maybe 1/4 of a cup of gas left in each at the most, just can't quite get it all out.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
The only issue I am aware of is: empty or full a sealed gas can that is subject to a large temperature change will bulge or collapse. I live in Minnesota so a metal gas can going from 70ºF to 0ºF will have permanent dents in it if left sealed.

As to a little gas in the can: I leave my empty cans with caps loose, the little gas left evaporates. If you leave them sealed I would put a little heet (methyl alcohol) or sta-bil (gasoline stabilizer) in to absorb any water to keep rust from starting.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I always keep them full. You never know when they will be needed. I rotate them through vehicle use every couple of months then refill.

I second the note about pressure changes, on both sides of the thermometer. This summer I experienced a massive champagne-bottle style fountain of gas on the back of the Jeep as I opened a Wavian can that was at about 125 or so degrees.

Be careful!

pluton

Adventurer
I always keep them full. You never know when they will be needed. I rotate them through vehicle use every couple of months then refill.

I second the note about pressure changes, on both sides of the thermometer. This summer I experienced a massive champagne-bottle style fountain of gas on the back of the Jeep as I opened a Wavian can that was at about 125 or so degrees.

Be careful!
This is my approach. I keep 2 cans full in case of disaster. Where I live the most credible disaster is large earthquake that knocks out electricity for a few days or a week. No juice, no gas stations. I'm afraid to leave a small amount of gas in the can in case it partially evaporates/condenses into some kind of gummy varnish. If I plan to completely empty a can, I make sure all the gas is out and flush it with air or canned gas(Dust-Off or similar).

rayra

Expedition Leader
Keep them full as a disaster prep. Ridiculous questions. What the hell use is an empty gas can?

roving1

Keep them full as a disaster prep. Ridiculous questions. What the hell use is an empty gas can?

Yeah no possible reason someone wouldn't to store large quantities of flammable liquids for no reason other than a disaster prep fantasy.

Your statement is ridiculous

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’m on board with disaster prep or whatever reason, maybe you need to destroy evidence on short notice... whatever.

My brother in law was just given about 15 min to prepare and evacuate his place near Malibu. Then he spent almost 8 hours in traffic. If I was doing that, I’d be much happier knowing I had a full gas can to add to the tank versus fighting the lines at a few stations... before the power is cut.

When I lived back east, multi day power outages were common. Nice to have a few extra gallons for the car or stove then too.

It can happen anywhere.

Do you think the State Farm She Shed has gas in it?

SameGuy

Observer
As much fun as prepping can be im more interested in the residual fuel left in the cans contaminating the fuel in future use. I think I'll swish around a bottle of Heat from one to the other and leave it at that.

old .45

Observer
I always keep them full and with a stabilizer in them... never had a good can i.e.. Wavin, Wedco give me any problems. Full there is little space for condensation and the stabilizer takes care of that. Less fumes, they are the dangerous part. Same procedure for all the seasonal gas power tools, top off, stabilize and store. I live up in the North east also.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

With the current way gasoline is formulated remember to rotate it every 6 months to a year. A little heet and stabilizer isn't a bad idea either.

Yeah no possible reason someone wouldn't to store large quantities of flammable liquids for no reason other than a disaster prep fantasy.
Your statement is ridiculous

A full gas can is a fire hazard. An empty gas can with gasoline fumes in is a bomb.

I've had to take from my 'store . . . of flammable liquids' when power was out for multiple days; to run the furnace or to run a sump pump. I guess a 'large quantity' depends on how long you need to power stuff in a 'fantasy' disaster.

J!m

Liquid gasoline is safer than the fumes by a long shot!

They used to repair gas tanks by filling them up, put the car on the lift and braze the tank where the fuel was dripping out.

Good times!

Diesel stores better, but BioDiesel does not! I worked on a friends truck and it would run great until the fuel filter refilled with the crap from the tank... I had to drain that nasty stuff out, add a bunch of “diesel 911” and fill it with DinoDiesel. After a couple tanks (with Howies) it sorted out.

I do add the howies to my fuel cans as well as the truck tank year-round. I also fill the fuel filter with howies when I do filter changes. Cleans the injector pump well!

But if you are driving the truck regularly, dump in the fuel can when you fill up and after tipping up the truck tank refill the can. Like rotating stock to keep it fresh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior