Fuel and water in a Wrangler

YJ Dave

Observer
Well as all of us Wrangler owners know, we don't have a whole lot of space to haul extra's for a few days of exploring in our CJ, YJ, TJ's. I have done some searching for aux tanks, and have found little info for Wranglers. It would be sweet to have a set of tanks built to sit under the tub along either side of the drive shaft, but filling could be a pain and well having them built will be far from cheap.
Other than jerry cans on external racks what is everybody else doing to haul some extra water and fuel?

Edit/added:
Yes I have modified my tank to 20 gal.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
You can get a 24 gallon tank from Currie (at least I think it is currie....), but it isn't cheap. I know one guy here in Tucson who has a 18 gallon fuel cell on the drivers side of his YJ, right in front of the rear axle. It was a off the shelf fuel cell from somewhere. You can't put one on the passenger side due to the exhaust system. He did it not for the added capacity, but because he stretched the wheelbase 7" and lost the OE tank in the process. But I am sure you can do the same thing with the appropriatly sized fuel cell. Some people have jerry can carriers built into the swing-out tire carriers on their bumpers. I used to do this, but the fear of losing the swing-out while driving down the freeway prompted me to re-design the whole thing. This is a well known problem with the swing outs which use a single hinge pin....I didn't want to take the chance, despite making my pin from 1.25" anti-fat steel. Now I don't carry any extra fuel....but I do travel with others who have some room that I 'rent' when needed. I have never had to use the extra fuel, but it was close last year down in Baja.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles