FTS 750 build

IGBT

Observer
The FTS is a great truck. I have been sort of looking for a FTR or the equivalent GMC T7500 to upgrade the rather wimpy Isuzu NRR with it's low 19,500 GVWR.

Brenie

Yeah, I looked seriously at the NPS, but the issue I couldn't get passed, was that they are just too small.

jlunicat

Hi Brenie,

If it's not too much trouble, could you tell me what the measurement is from the ground to the top of the cab roof? I'm looking at the same sort of build on a GMC T7500 (North American Isuzu 2WD version of your truck)

Thanks,

John

DzlToy

Explorer
Yeah, I looked seriously at the NPS, but the issue I couldn't get passed, was that they are just too small.

Strangely enough, the cab width at the belt line is within an inch or two. The F-series is quite a bit taller inside and has a flatter floor so it feels more spacious. Some of them have the narrow sleeping shelf behind the seats, which is useful for storage whilst traveling. I have a Fuso FE, which is NPR size, for a work truck and initially I was concerned about interior space. It has never been an issue for me at all.

A mate of mine started two FTR builds here in the states, but did not finish either one. Looking forward to seeing this done. We do not get the FTS here.

Brenie

My cab has the narrow sleeping shelf and the cabin certainly feels much bigger than the NPS, for me it was about the length and GCM for the accommodation on the back for "Her Indoors" , she is more into "glamping" than camping, I like the idea of building something similar to the big "Unicat" and "Action Mobil" the Germans build. Hopefully I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.

Brenie

Picked up at an auction a good OZ made 2 year old caravan, an insurance write off, which I will be using most of it but re-bodying (is that a word?) it, just covered 80% of my wiring and plumbing in one purchase, and it has a beautiful modern fit out with leather seats, ensuite and quality cabinetry , which is a great relief, as someone who works in metal, the art of cabinetry is something that I am pretty bad at. Alas once again, I am foiled by the shed that is not tall enough to put it in there to do my thing on it, so half the carport is going to taken up for the next year or so, even "her indoors" is starting to show some enthusiasm for the project.DSCF6173.jpg

Brenie

This will form the basis for the camper body, I have a mate who is an engineer and another who owns a business making garbage trucks, between them and I we should be able to make a sub chassis to mount the finished accommodation "pod" to the truck chassis, time to get off my bum and get stuck into it.Big Red (9).jpg

Spanna 53

Brenie can symphise about the art of cabinetry bit as a mechanic , my son is a joiner and took nearly a year to get the cupboards done , the New Age van looks the way to go to get the fit out so it doesn't look home made, some thing we had to work at as well as caravan door , Windows and appliances to make it look "good"

Brenie

I've started stripping the body off the van, and sniffing around the internet for a new door and other bits. I have got onto an VASS engineer to make sure that I don't do anything that might affect the getting of registration, as my truck comes under federal heavy truck laws which makes it a bit more complicated.

SootyCamper

Looking forward to the build! I've settled on this chassis(North American ftr/gmc t7500) for my build so pretty excited to see what you end up creating here.

DzlToy

Explorer
^^ A new one (FTR) or an older chassis?

As I am sure you are aware, the FTS was never sold in the States, not sure about Canadia.. Are you going to convert it to 4WD?

There is an Eaton axle similar to the OEM version for that truck, with a selectable locker. Some M/T tires and a locker will get you a long way in a big truck. The Isuzu (Duramax) inline 7.8 liter six cylinder is a pretty good motor and can be turned up to 300 HP and 860 TQ pretty easily if you want more power. Some versions were only about 200 BHP, so the trucks are really turds.

A 335 MPT will fit easily and a 365 will fit with some trimming or a small lift. Factory wheel cut (2WD) is at least 50 degrees, so they turn really well. Avoid the CAT motor that came in some of the early trucks, they are garbage. Interested to see a build thread when you get started.

Cheers

PS: Glad to delete this if it is too far off topic.

SootyCamper

Not wanting to hijack the thread. But yeah Dzltoy

I'm looking at Older 2003-2007(with the ************ Isuzu 6h engine) GMC T7500's which seem to be much more plentiful than the Isuzu made FTR(and priced pretty good too at around $25-35k CAD).

I am for sure planning on getting a 4x4 conversion. Have not found a shop yet to do all the work here in Canada yet. Getting the work done in the states at Tulsa Truck or the like isn't in the cards due to poor conversion rates. I will definitely google that eaton axle you mentioned. Also plan on getting a diesel tuner put on the truck aswell to unlock some more power as I know GMC derated these trucks to preserve reliability.

Once I buy the truck I will forsure start a Build thread.

Dzltoy I'll send you a pm as I have a few questions about that Eaton axel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles