FT-4X

Clutch

<---Pass
That actually looks somewhat interesting... I wish they would make something like that...

I could use it around town instead of my Big Tree.

Actually, I wouldn't mind it either. Looks like it has decent ground clearance, be nice to have a little 40 mpg hybrid truck that I could haul the dirt bike with.

Hard to believe that concept is over 10 years old now. Some of the current vehicles on the market now borrowed some design cues from it.

http://www.toyota-global.com/showroom/toyota_design/concept_cars/gallery_a_bat.html

Liked some of the early renderings.

A-BAT_06.jpg

Reminds me of this.

Dodge Deora Concept

Deorea3.jpg

Ford Explorer Concept

1973-ford-explorer-10-never.jpg

Or even the old Econoline trucks...boasting 30 mpg...way back in '61!

1961econoline-ad.jpg

Last edited:

JMadigan

There may be market for that kind of vehicle, look at the Honda Ridgeline or the Fiat Toro! Renegade sized with a truck bed:
fiat_toro_volcano_011-770x514.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
There may be market for that kind of vehicle, look at the Honda Ridgeline or the Fiat Toro! Renegade sized with a truck bed:
View attachment 394924

I looked at the Ridgeline, has some great features. It just misses two things for me, not enough ground clearance, and fuel economy. Would like to see it in the 35 MPG HWY range.

The A-Bat being a hybrid might be able to achieve what I am looking for, too bad it never came to market.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I can't help but wish for something along these lines :drool:

Even if it is a small version...

Yeah. After the FJ Cruiser debuted as a styling homage to the FJ40 I imagined how cool it would be if the (then) upcoming 5th-gen 4Runner was an homage to the FJ55.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
You guys have some good ideas.

That Rod Millen FJ was what they were drawing up before the FJ Cruiser came out. That would have been radical. Of course, it probably would have been $100K...

BlairB

Observer
View attachment 395249

I can't help but wish for something along these lines :drool:

Even if it is a small version...

I was actually lucky enough to drive that truck!

Very very cool build and probably one of my favorite cars in the world. It was an FJ45LV that was cut into four pieces, widened and lengthened and put on a (then modern) 100 series frame and drivetrain. It was actually independent suspension on all four corners with around 13" of travel for the 35's IIRC. Also, some cool unique things- kevlar skid plates, front and rear winches, built-in Sat phone, built-in water tank etc...

Clutch

<---Pass
I kinda like it, looks like the cargo area is fairly useful. Doesn't look like an egg either, like what most of the CUV's do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles