FS: USA Venturecraft Expedition off road camping and cargo trailer

soundpony

Adventurer
USA VenturCraft Sportsman
Off-Road Camping and Cargo Trailer
TrailBlazer- $3000

USA VenturCraft only made a handful of these fine trailers. You will occasionally see one of these out on the trail or on a website - a prized part of a well-equipped offroader's kit. You'll note that for the Land Rover enthusiast, this trailer was built with 1997 Defender rear turn lamps and has a molded placement of a Hella Twin Beam rear work lamp. The front lamps are Land Rover Series Style with Euro spec wire lamp guards. (pretty cool!)
This is a fully-optioned trailer, including fiberglass lid, skid plates front to rear, cooler rack & cover, front rock guard that snaps on and off, 31x10.5" tires, 15" American Racing wheels, pintle hitch (hitch to fit Class III receiver included), gel-coat inside & out, non-slip interior storage compartment texture, Dexter TorFlex axle with EZ Lube hubs, rear stabilizer jacks, drain plug for easy clean out, 8' x 10' canopy with 3 telescoping supports, top storage rack, etc.

Comparing this to products from Tentrax, Haultent and Adventure Trailers, you will see that currently they are in excess of $8,000! Many of these trailers are much bigger and heavier - more cumbersome off-road.

There is no comparable size/weight trailer that has a tent that allows you to stand up inside. The tent is made of rugged nautical-grade canvas which allows for easy repair at your local boat shop if it succumbs to damage.

The approximately 3' x 5' fiberglass tub is reinforced with an aluminum perimeter frame. This sits on a rugged steel frame supported by the 1,000 lb capacity TorFlex axle. The bed/tent platform folds in half, accomodating a 5' x 6' queen-size mattress. The assembly is hinged to the tub and supported by gas struts, allowing access to the storage area. When the tent is erected, there is a panel under the head of the bed that lifts to access the storage area from inside the tent.

This Sportsman Off-Road camping and cargo trailer was made by USA VenturCraft of Abilene, TX - also the makers of Kwik-Kamp motorcycle and auto trailers. Considered by many to have stellar off-road abilities, a Sportsman trailer has even conquered the daunting Rubicon Trail in California during the 44th Annual Jeepers Jamboree - without any damage

A report of the run from TruckWorld.com: This patented camper was the envy of all attendees with its 45 second set up, comfortable queen size bed with adjoining, stand-up dressing room, and access to its 22 cu. ft. of cargo area with the tent up or down. Most impressive was the trailer's trouble-free towing behind the firm's 1995 Jeep Cherokee Country. Stuart Hall, President of VenturCraft said, "The trailer was never a worry on the trail. This camper will go anywhere my Jeep will go. And, sleeping on its queen size bed in the backcountry really takes the rough out of roughing it."In fact, with 16 inches of ground clearance, full coverage steel skid plates, 31 inch tires and military-type pintle hitch, it's much less likely to encounter any difficulty than the tow vehicle.

Did not use this trailer but once after purchasing from another expo member. Sad, but went in another direction, XPcamper!
Also had trailer rewired to accomdate both Japanese or American plugs.
Will include brand new Pintle hitch.

Comes with the cooler and cooler cover and Thule Box with Thule Bars. There is a nautical grade roof rack under the Thule Bars. FYI The cooler mounts to a plate on the tongue in front of the main box and has a cover that goes over it. It would also be a good place to mount an Engel or the like. Camper QUEEN Bed!

Trailer located in Truckee/Reno area. Priced to move!

$3000

For pictures and excellent review please go to this old website...

http://www.steinborn.org/jim/ebay/sportsman/

CW

soundpony

Adventurer
Its all I can come up with are pics from the previous owner. Hope its ok. I have not used it once, only to modify the electrical to work with japanese and american wiring harnesses. When I got the trailer it was snowing and now its snowing again in Truckee! I am truly sorry I never got to use this cool trailer.

IMG0432-M.jpg

IMG0447-1-M.jpg

IMG0452-M.jpg

IMG0439-M.jpg

IMG0434-M.jpg

soundpony

Adventurer
I should be in Truckee around the end of June, but right near the end I will be in SFran.

I will check the width of the track, what exact dimension is that? Outside of wheels?

Thanks guys,

CW

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I should be in Truckee around the end of June, but right near the end I will be in SFran.

I will check the width of the track, what exact dimension is that? Outside of wheels?

Thanks guys,

CW

Yes, the track width is tire edge to tire edge. They made a few variations of the trailer, some of which were a bit unstable on a side slope.

soundpony

Adventurer
Did not have a tape measure with me when I went to look at the bolt pattern.
Estimate is 36-44in
Sorry I am traveling on business to Denver at this time.
CW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior