FS: Custom Roof Top Tent (Canopy Sold) (Southern California USA)

Bho4779

AWESOME! So how does the tent mount to the canopy? Can you mount the tire and box to the front of the canopy so its tucked up between the truck cab and the canopy?
Do you already have a flatbed? How does it mount to the flatbed? I've been contemplating building a flat bed or a flat frame for a camper to sit on top.
Anyways, I'm interested! I'll DM you. I'm in NorCal with a white 2nd gen Tacoma, ACLB...this setup looks perfect! :)

cools20

AWESOME! So how does the tent mount to the canopy? Can you mount the tire and box to the front of the canopy so its tucked up between the truck cab and the canopy?
Do you already have a flatbed? How does it mount to the flatbed? I've been contemplating building a flat bed or a flat frame for a camper to sit on top.
Anyways, I'm interested! I'll DM you. I'm in NorCal with a white 2nd gen Tacoma, ACLB...this setup looks perfect! :)

Replied to DM!

kylehorvath

Hi there,
I have the same questions as above (Bho). I'm also in Norcal, same truck setup, looking to go that route. Any leads on flatbed? I weld a lot of aluminium and have wanted to do something like this but time, work, and trips do not cooperate! I'm outgrowing my hirise contractor shell, and would like sheltered standing space, as well as the ability to stealth camp when needed.

Attachments

• 20190515_141710.jpg
    20190515_141710.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 276

cools20

Hi there,
I have the same questions as above (Bho). I'm also in Norcal, same truck setup, looking to go that route. Any leads on flatbed? I weld a lot of aluminium and have wanted to do something like this but time, work, and trips do not cooperate! I'm outgrowing my hirise contractor shell, and would like sheltered standing space, as well as the ability to stealth camp when needed.

I ended up replying to Bho's questions on a DM, but happy to share the answers here.

"As for how the tent is attached to the canopy it currently is not, I planned on running 4 bolt straight through the roof of the canopy and floor of the tent to attached them together. As for the tire on the box those 2 things are coming with me for the next camper build I plan on making, but yes if you have your own spare and/or box which you can get those boxes for less then $500 they should work fine in front of the canopy. I have been designing a simple tire carrier which could be mounted on either the front or back of the canopy (its not welded up yet but I can give it to you to finish and should mount the same on the front or rear). Also as for mounting to the flatbed my plan was the same as the tent to the canopy with 4 large nuts/bolts going through the canopy/flatbed to secure it while off-road and that would make it fairly easy just loosening those 4 bolts to be able to jack it off the flatbed if you'd wanna use it as an actual bed (I also have the posts for jacking off the canopy that I can give you)."

I just built a flatbed on my 3rd gen ACLB (attached a pic). Was fairly simple to make and if you can weld aluminum well you should fine. I had to have a better do the welding since I'm only set up for steel. (I can dm some photos of my flatbed build if you would like)

Bho was actually planning on building a frame only (steel) and mounting the camper to it since he does not need the flatbed. (I would assume that option would save a good amount of weight)

So the tent and the canopy are 2 separate pieces so standing space would only be within the tent, the canopy is only about 36 inches tall, but the inside of tent at the tallest point is 6 feet.

As for stealth camping the canopy is only 5 feet long but you could sleep 1 inside if you were curled up but I would advise adding a window to that side since its all weather sealed. The roof of the canopy could always be cut off and the floor of the tent and this set up could be turned into a sort of gofast camper style but it would take some work ha.

I also attached some quick photoshop set up for running it with the tire on the front or on the back

Attachments

• IMG_958h6.jpg
    IMG_958h6.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 393
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 2.58.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 2.58.52 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 371
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 3.00.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 3.00.33 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 396

kylehorvath

Thanks for the pics and reply. I'm putting together a quote for making a flatbed, it's an awesome setup, but just a hair out of my budget with the buildout of a tray. I will DM you soon.
Extra bump for quality and design of build!

wesel123

Explorer
Interested in selling just the tent? I'm local in So Cal. Have a Power Wagon so the body won't work for me.

PM me if your thinking of splitting this up.

cools20

Interested in selling just the tent? I'm local in So Cal. Have a Power Wagon so the body won't work for me.

PM me if your thinking of splitting this up.

If someone is interested in the box only I would be fine with splitting, but only if that is the case

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior