Explorer
27984742369_ccb90d2983_b.jpg

38864420565_4eecd673e4_b.jpg

39731525892_245e66dddb_b.jpg

Reference:

bdddd7ca45105692107578c6beacce7a.jpg

DiscoDavis

Explorer
My guys, make me an offer. About to change commutes and I have to downsize my rover-only stable and get something from this century.

_ExpeditionMan

Adventurer
@DiscoDavis love the truck, sad to see you letting it go. Definitely one of the better 5spds for sale currently. I have two R380 D1's myself though my white one couldn't escape rust... That being said how do you know the rubber-banding is in your diffs and not the input gear in the LT230?

DiscoDavis

Explorer
it is the diffs in each axle. Thank you btw, this one is fortunate that it has no rust.

trans was brand "new" (rebuilt) palleted from ashcroft, and we had him ship a new crossdrilled input gear as well for the 70k mile LT230 we put in it. Last I had it up on a rack a few months ago, the axle side diffs were where I saw the play.

bump by the way, I need to change cars sooner than later, someone make me an offer if you want a solid bones 5 speed D1. Honestly I can be flexible, I would rather it go to a good home.

Last edited:

_ExpeditionMan

Adventurer
Good luck with the sale, if only the wife would let me have a third. It'd be worth an appearance on TLC's Hoarders for a solid 5spd D1 in white.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
update update:

swapped in my spare front axle this past weekend. It is an axle off of another 1995 d1, with a good condition diff/CV's in it, and every other component rebuilt.

teflon swivel balls
all swivel pins/bearings new
new rotors
new calipers
new pads
new wheel bearings
new seals
new oil, new swivel grease
existing steering stabilizer was dirty (now clean), but good condition and gave that some new bushings
did the rear a frame joint as well, now with a greasable one
did the radius arms bushings with medium polys (black color)

This eliminated pretty much all of the bad rubber banding, there will always be some play noticeable since it isn't the auto trans, but a huge improvement and I would not consider this an issue any longer.

I have a spare diff and half shafts that may go in as well, TBD, this may remove more driveline play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke