Frustrations of a 2nd Gen Ram Interior

ExpoMike

This truck has got to be the most frustrating vehicle I have owned (of 44) for doing interior modifications. Dodge really didn't leave a lot of area to add anything, especially with the dash. First off, the '94-'97 has got to have the worst cup holders ever designed into a truck. You can only use tapered cups (no cans or water bottles). It sits at the top of the dash so a big cup blocks some of your view. Add to that, any "sweating" or drips from the cup run down onto the front of the radio and the way it sticks out from the dash, make it very "bouncy". Stupid design!

Now onto my problems. I want to add some stuff and I cannot find any good places. I want to add my 3 extra gauges, switches for aux. lights, the control panel for a GoLight and a place for my Cobra 75 CB radio. Down the road I might be adding a HAM setup too.

The way the dash is made, there is no "bottom" of the dash to be able to hang things under. There is no open, flat area to place things into either.

I know about the A pillar gauge pods but honestly, those A pillars are already too damn thick that I can lose the sight of a vehicle, the last thing I want to do is make them even thicker with gauges. The perfect spot would be where the radio goes but then where do you mount the radio?

I haven't even figured out where to put the CB mount for the Cobra 75 (CB in the mic setup) as I want it to face forward so the read out can be read and the speaker can be heard. Anywhere on the dash face ends up blocking something else that is needed.

I have been looking at this dash, trying to place things where they might go and such for months now and I am still at a complete loss. There is not even a good area to make a center console setup to handle this stuff. I guess Dodge figured no one ever would want to add anything. Grrrr!!!

Sitting here frustrated and lacking ideas....

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had the three gauge pillar mount on my '98.5 and honestly didn't find it to be an issue. In addition,on mine there was a cubby hole left of the radio I believe where Geno's sold a fuel pressure gauge setup(a must on a 24v). If the 97's have that,it would be an option.

On my '07,I bought the single gauge pillar mount from Mopar and use the Isspro combo boost/egt gauge which has cut down on the clutter. I've seen dash mounted gauges on some of the 2nds also.

The dedicated Dodge sites would surely have some owners in your same situation.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Mount the CB to the roof. I'll bet there is a beam or two under you headliner that you can add a strip of steel to, and hang your CB onto that.

You can make your own guage pods out of Kydex. I like to mount my guages to a sheet of stainless with the bottom bent back into a mounting foot. Then I just form the guage pds body out of Kydex with a heatgun. Then you can stick your guages anywhere you want.

Switches are tiny. Just drill a hole in the dash somewhere and bolt them in. I like putting light switches and my Aux battery switch on the door panel.

The only guages I like near the dash are AFR and Vacuum. I use tiny LEDs for HWT and LOP idiot lights. What guages do you want to run? How about a pic of your dash? How tight can it be? I wouldn't mount anything under the dash. That allways feels cheap, and any CB that dents my shins gets tossed out the window.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I feel your pain.

I have boost/EGT/trans temp on the A-pillar, and you can (literally) lose sight of a small car behind it. I'd like to move those somewhere else to clear out room for a spot light (I gave up on fixed aux lights - they always seem to be pointed in the wrong direction)

I've also been looking for a place to put a 2M radio - and even if I go with one that has a remote faceplate, there is no good spot to put the faceplate that will both look decent and be accessible. I've about decided that the solution (for me) is going to be to build a overhead console that will bolt in using the OEM mounting studs for the interior lights.

There doesn't seem to be a simple solution with this truck.

ExpoMike

As for the gauges, they are a custom made set of EGT/Boost/Trans gauges made by Speed Hut. As goodtimes pointed out, I too have lost vehicles due to the thickness of the factory A pillar. A pillar is off the table. It's pouring rain right now so I didn't take any pics of my dash but found some online. Here is what it looks like,

45643732.jpg

24003.jpg

As for the CB, it's not a CB radio and a mic, the CB is in the mic. Here's a pic,

41UZlLzjDjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I am on a bunch of different Dodge Ram forums and honestly, most of them are only interested in how much power can I make and how do I fix what I just broke because I am making more power. Almost nothing regarding ExPo type builds. Even less for early 2nd gen Rams.

Last edited:

Fish

Adventurer
How many cassettes do you play? Pull the stock radio, put in a smaller single DIN radio, build a small panel with gauges in the other half of the space? Or use that space for a switch panel. Or use a switch panel like the Wired HDH ones. The Wired HDH panel could also just stick to the dash below the radio.

What's behind the grey panel on the tranny hump just in front of the transfer case shifter? Maybe turn that into a small console with lesser needed gauges? Pod on the dash for gauges?

Ever actually seat anyone in the middle seat? The ultimate solution might be to pull that and build or buy a center console with cup holders and a mic clip for the CB.

Just throwing out ideas. Maybe one will stick.

ExpoMike

As I said above, that is not a picture of my truck. I already have an aftermarket radio and the aftermarket brackets basically center the radio in the opening. It's only 1.5 DIN in size so there is not much extra room anyways. No one make a bracket kit that would put the radio at the top or bottom of the opening.

That cover at the bottom goes over the SRS computer. I did buy an Autometer pod for the dash but it places the gauges all the way at the forward part of the dash, up against the windshield. Looked really funny and they way it "mounted" left a lot to be desired. Maybe for a street truck but something bouncing around offroad, I would end up with a gauge pod flying around the top of the dash.

My plan is to eventually replace the center seat with some type of console. It in the long term plans but I am trying to get some of this stuff done before two big trips that happen at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Between those trips I do not have enough time or money to buy/build this stuff.

I have literally spent hours sitting in the drivers seat, placing stuff, thinking of ideas and nothing has really hit me. I typically am very good and creative with this type of stuff and being able to make it all look like it came from the factory that way. It's just not coming to me, which is driving me crazy.

Thanks for letting me vent some...

lstzephyr

wanderer
I think your best bet might be a overhead shelf. Stick the cb up there, the gauges up there, and even add some storage. Out of line of sight, not going to cut into your dash, and won't fall off if built well.

Alternately I use little gauge cups and mount the gauges wherever. For me that usually ends up on the A pillar though.

DT75FLH

Adventurer

ExpoMike

In my 98. I put the plastic center console extender from geno's garage. I had the same CB and pounted it to the front of the extender.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CUP-HOLDER-9497

solves the cup holder/cb mount.

Ive used both the a piller for gauges. Maybe sell the gauges you have and buy the x-moniter? it is digital and mounts low on the a -piller and moniters boost/egt/xmsn temp?

http://www.dieselperformance.com/index.php/product/index/44P

Dang it!!!! When I was looking around at digital gauges, I could not find any that worked for a '97 (non computerized). Everything I found was a '98 and later. I might have to seriously think about selling my gauges (which sucks as I am going to lose money, they were not cheap) and go with this setup. Thanks for this info.

As for the Geno's cup holder, I had seen that before but isn't really what I am after. I really don't want to have to unload stuff from it anytime I want to raise the arm rest.

I am considering a Tuffy 12.5" center console to replace the whole center seat. Time and money just doesn't seem to be on my side right now...

Keep up the ideas guys. I pulled the dash apart and stared at it for an hour or so today and am still not any further along.

ares97

I too have the infamous 97 ram..as for the gauges try mounting them to the bottom of the factory map light overhead console..if you have it. That's also where I mounted my switches (inside the cubby hole). Your cb could also b mounted there or as I helped a friend do, we mounted his in the ashtray. I have a fullsize cb mounted to the panel over the srs cover. I also pulled the cupholder and mounted switches there. I think, depending on the size of your gauges, if you get a little creative you could mount your gauges there angled slightly towards the driver seat (if you remove and remodel the cupholder outer panel). From experience, DON'T MOUNT ANYTHING TO THE TOP OF THE DASH! IT'S CHEAP REGROUND PLASTIC AND IT WILL FALL COMPLETELY APART! If you haven't had an issue with it yet, I would totally recommend getting some kind of dash cover in place ASAP. Hope this helps.

I have the same issues with my '96. I have just installed the Geno's Garage cupholder. I had the same concerns as you but it is so much better than the WORLD'S WORST CUPHOLDER LOCATION EVER. I am using the pillar mount for trans & oil temp...compromises are sometimes necessary. And then I will use the vacant cupholder location for mounting a 2m radio. The ashtray location will house some switches. And then the Cobra 75 unit will be a cinch compared to everything else. Good luck with your dilemma...I've enjoyed your thread. :sombrero:

mbryson

Observer
The below won't help your cupholder issue but it's a good solution for the gauges.

This is not my truck, but I have the same setup in my 3rd Gen Dodge. I'd assume it would work for the 2nd Gen trucks but I don't know the specifics.

e697a8de.jpg

From the below thread.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...s-discussion/388681-overhead-gauge-mount.html

I don't have a specific picture of my gauge setup, but it's right next to where I run my GPS and I REALLY like having EGT, trans temp and mph RIGHT next to my field of vision.

I've mounted my 2 meter here in my third gen. It's working out fine.
interior.JPG

kjp1969

Explorer
Check police vehicle consoles for ideas- those are always beefy and designed to cram a bunch of gear in the factory space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles