Frustration changing struts 1st gen Tundra

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I know I know. 'Undo 3 tops nuts, take out bottom nut/bolt, remove strut'. NOT!
So what's the secret? Trying to put on some 5100's and having zero luck. I bailed on the project when I noticed the bottom bolt comes out part way and then hits the trans axle! Would make a lot of sense to have the nut on that side. I also noticed at this point quite a bit of downward pressure still on the strut/bolt. I bailed just in time to be able to (barely) get the bolt all the way back in. Something told me if there was that much tension still, getting the 5100 back in there was going to a real sob.
Are folks removing more of the front end? The 3 nuts on top, 1 bolt at the bottom spiel seems hard to believe.

st

sseaman

Adventurer
I have read on some removing the sway bar, but I think that is more for reinstalling the 5100's. I am doing this in the next couple weeks so will be watching to see what other respond.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Ok, after reading that link, I've just made a call to have them installed. If it was as simple as unbolting and having it slide out, as some on the net say it is, I was going to be pissed I couldn't do it. I had a hunch there was more to it. Glad I put that bolt back in when I had a fighting chance instead of being stuck with an immobile truck. No way this is .5 hr per side unless you've done a bunch before.

I did have just one corner jacked up, so maybe having the whole front end up would help. I think getting the 5100 back in would still be a royal sob though, and I stopped before needing to figure out how to get the lower bolt all the way out. It was half out and backed up firmly against the TA boot clasp.

st

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior