Frontrunner swing away

ar4me

Adventurer
I noticed it does stick out and change the departure angle. I've seen a few really nice Jeep set-ups with the striker mounts on top though so I'll keep that in mind.
Note that there is almost zero space on top: When you open the lower part of the tail gate there is maybe 1/2" clearance to the stepping pad on the rear bumper...

Thanks for the pictures. Interesting design for the striker plate.....although I guess with the drop down tailgate the options are limited.

rewillia

Abran,

Were you able to maintain use of the OEM rear sensors or are those just blank plugs in the rear bumper? I ask as they don't look like the sensors.

Abran

Observer
I put blanks in, they will go off.

On another note, we have for sale the last 2 swing sways that will be imported by Frontrunner.

If anyone is interested, PM me.

rewillia

Just curious......did you try to defeat the passenger side rear sensors that were alarming (i.e. beneath the tire & mount) while leaving the driver's side active? Only asking as I don't know if such is even possible but would like to (know) as I recently ordered the FR swing away and appreciate being able to maintain some rear sensing capability (again, if possible).

Just curious......did you try to defeat the passenger side rear sensors that were alarming (i.e. beneath the tire & mount) while leaving the driver's side active? Only asking as I don't know if such is even possible but would like to (know) as I recently ordered the FR swing away and appreciate being able to maintain some rear sensing capability (again, if possible).

I am sure you might be able to jump the sensor wires but they work in faults as a system. Not sure the trouble is worth the squeeze....or something like that...lol

On that note, I am considering a quality rearview mirror mod with back up camera in the mirror which is a far better option IMO!

rewillia

Installing the FrontRunner RBLD007 Spare Wheel carrier on my LR4 as I write this and am 95% completed after 1-1/2 days. Its a fairly simple and straight-forward procedure that can for the most part be done by one person.

My observations;

In terms of the installation itself, the biggest challenge I encountered was to replace the D4/LR4 urethane bumper cover back onto and over the bottom section of the carrier and absorber bumper (twice; once to mark the location on the back/inside of the cover where the striker plate will penetrate and bolt to the bottom section and second, final installation) but as with any installation of sorts, there will always be some "give & take". Its most certainly doable only it does require two people to re-install the bumper cover properly otherwise it could be damaged. and as well, helps to lower the tailgate when trying to reinstall the cover in order for it to seat back up flush.

In terms of the product itself, the power-coated finish could be far better (thicker) in my opinion and I am also suspect of the striker latch assembly design in terms of it holding up over time and use. Lastly, I was equally concerned with the plastic bushings FR supplies for the top and bottom section of pivot post and suspect they too will wear quickly such that I've elected to have a machine shop make me some replacement bushings out of alloy (to replace the supplied plastic ones). Hope to get those from the machine shop today and complete the installation.

Photos to follow once completed.

Last edited:

rewillia

As installed; now just a matter of my waiting on replacement self-lubricating bronze flange bearing/bushings for the pivot arm to bottom mount I'm having a machine shop cut then I'll swap them out with the plastic ones (shown in photo 2) supplied by FR with the carrier.

Attachments

• Front Runner RBLD007_3.jpg
    Front Runner RBLD007_3.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Front Runner RBLD007_4.jpg
    Front Runner RBLD007_4.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 33
  • FrontRunner RBLD007_1.jpg
    FrontRunner RBLD007_1.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 33
  • FrontRunner RBLD007_2.jpg
    FrontRunner RBLD007_2.jpg