Frontrunner antenna mount

PhulesAU

Explorer
Anything clamped to the cargo rack will have poor grounding, Period. You can take steps to mitigate the problem, and have a functioning set up.. I would however recommend the KISS principle and not waste the money. Get a bracket to go in the seam of the hood, on the opposite side from stereo antenna A good Half wave and be done with it.

JPaul

Observer
Probably a RF grounding strap (wide flexible tinned braid strap) going from the mount to the rack would be sufficient. My mounts I fabricated don't have any electrical connection to my rack aside from some wiring going to the body. Never had an issue tuning the antennas or making contacts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dreadlocks

I'm about to get a frontrunner rack and antenna mount for my HAM radio.. I figure I'mna run a grounding strap from the rack to a hinge bolt on hatch.. my body work is all aluminum so this seems like the best option for me.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have a FR rack and made my own bracket from 1 inch angle grounded to the body with its own wire to a OEM ground point. Works well and not expensive. I have a few things from FR that I bought thinking they would be welcome additions but I have yet to use them. FR makes great stuff, don't get me wrong but I think many add-ons are not for me. I now have a Tactical 4X bumper with swing away tire carrier so the rack mounted tire carrier from FR sits in the box in the garage. Also got petrol can carrier from Baja that holds the cans on their sides very high so I fabricated a mount that holds them flat, that Baja can holder also sits in the garage. I also made a propane holder that is horizontal rather than vertical to keep it from getting bashed by too many limbs, still it gets whacked occasionally.

The FR antenna mount looks to be a great addition as it rotates to keep the antenna low for going into a garage.

The FR full length rack is the perfect length to hold my OZ tent.

The CUB boxes work well in the drawer system and the rack would be better if the braces for gear were run long ways versus short way. They make too much noise as the wind passes over the rack. I made a fairing for my rack and have discovered that they now have made one very much like mine only using different mounting, but the same shape and size.
My antenna does 'fold' to keep it low profile for trail use but I find that even in the horizontal position it sends and receives very well, as good as totally vertical. Really surprised me.

Many things are trial and experiment with me and I find that taking a piece of gear out for a spin is the best determination of how well it works for me. Some things pass the trip test, some don't.

I have seen a few antenna mounts (magnetic and bolted) that attach to the fender (Jeeps) or the bonnet but my hood is aluminum. Also do not want to watch the antenna waving in front of me as I travel on a trail.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have my ham antenna on my Rhino rack . I just screwed in a metal plate and used a mag mount. Works great.IMG_20181010_135333113.jpgIMG_20181010_135333113.jpg

Billoftt

You could spend $55.95 on that, or you could spend $6.29 and just bolt one of these into the track on the rack or just put it in the hood lip and use a 1/2 wave antenna to not worry about ground plane.
https://www.amazon.com/L-Bracket-St...=1547556272&sr=8-2&keywords=nmo+mount+bracket

I understand that rotating it 90 degrees to avoid branches sounds like a good feature, but if you have ever unscrewed an antenna from an NMO you will understand how laughable that is.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I understand that rotating it 90 degrees to avoid branches sounds like a good feature, but if you have ever unscrewed an antenna from an NMO you will understand how laughable that is.
The only caveat I would make is the NMO isn't designed as a quick way to remove antennas, leaving something to be desired mechanically and environmentally doing so. It was designed mainly to have minimal insertion electrically and be robust enough not to break off or tear out. Each time you remove and install the mount and base get more worn, exposed to debris and moisture, etc.

So if you're forced to routinely remove your antenna finding a better solution is preferable. Doesn't have to be the $56 one, but a rotating mount may be handy. An angle bracket with a wing nut comes to mind.

OTOH, NMO mounts and commercial whips are *designed* to be rugged, so occasionally smacking a rock, tree or drive thru overhang isn't something to worry too much about. I'd think in your vehicle's lifetime you're going to be 1/10th as tough on antennas as cops, firefighters and USFS rangers.

dreadlocks

I just got one of these in and I must say I'm rather impressed so far, Whip wont work for me as I need a wideband dual bander.. I'm waiting on the front runner rack to arrive for my TV, but I think I might get a 2nd one of these for my trailer and modify it to work with its racks.. I broke off one antenna and bent the crap outta a spring I put on the 2nd one last season due to tree impacts.. Honestly this is the best designed mount Ive seen for ExPo use, it'll greatly reduce the odds of antenna damage out on the trail.. better than a fold over antenna because you dont have to get out and fold it over before it comes in contact w/something. Its better than a spring because that only protects against high impacts, a branch riding along the roof racks will impact the base, below the spring and destroy it w/ease.

Taking an antenna on/off regularly is not really practical, and risks blowing out your front end if you key up much power w/out an antenna hooked up.. which w/my APRS setup could happen automatically.. also I wrench em down pretty tight w/some extra mechanical force and a lil bit of loctite, so they wont come off on rough roads..

its got a sprung bearing that keeps it in place, if it gets any kind impact that would be enough to break the antenna it would fold over w/out a problem..
IMG_20190206_234536.jpg

Tension can be adjusted to accommodate any sized antenna, supports my 40in Comet CA-2x4SR just fine.
IMG_20190207_212327.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles