Frontier Hitch Bike Tray, Open tailgate?

Josh41

Adventurer
Just got a few new bikes and looking for a hitch mount bike rack with trays. Anyone have any experience? Hoping to find one that I can open the tailgate with the bikes on when it tilts down. I had a swing away (Yakima Swing Daddy), but new bikes won't work on it. The tray racks with swings are more than I want to spend.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Trays, as in bike sits on it's wheels?

I'd look at a 1UP, I went through a few different carriers before I found it and I absolutely love how well it's made and works. It tips down to the point I think it will work well.

Not cheap, so I don't know how you feel about that since you balked at the price of a swing out, but if you travel a lot with bikes, it's worth it. in the warmer months I ride after work 2-3 days a week, so my carrier was used that much and rode on the truck the rest of the time, and as a almost daily use rack it's perfect. I even went on some 4x4 trails and rough roads with it, it's the best rack I've found for that. (I reccomend the super duty, not standard. Super duty only fits a 2" receiver and uses a hitch pin lock so it cannot ever work itself free even if it manages to loosen up, which you can spot if it does. So far mine has never loosened to the point it ever moved, but I'm anal about it and check it now and then.)

My Dad has a Frontier, if I get them all in the same place I might could actually check fit but I've never used it on his truck. It tips down really far, so that with my general knowledge of how a Frontier is set up, I'm 99% sure it would clear fine. That said mine is a single bike, I haven't added a second tray yet.

Josh41

Adventurer
Yes, keeping both wheels on . I have an AT habitat on back, so opening the tailgate with the bikes on is imperative. The 1Up looks awesome and we do plan on doing lots of gravel travel, so I might just need to bight the bullet. I would also need the fat tire spacers, so I'm closing in on almost $700.
1st world problems :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles