Front window sun shade

irish_11

Explorer
Being from Western Washington these are not too common around here. When the sun comes out we dont worry about it getting too hot. I am headed to arches and Moab next month though and I thought they might be a little more useful down there for keeping the cab cooler. I have never owned one, but I've seen plenty living in Montana and Eastern Washington. I was wondering about what to avoid, what to look for and if they actually work for keeping the cab any cooler when you are not using the vehicle?

For reference I'm talking a shade like this:
sunshade-maine.jpg

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I use one when it starts to get really hot in So Cal. Recently put a thermometer in the cab just for $#!t$ and giggles. 20* difference between deploying the shade and the times I forget to. Different days and times and temps, so not scientific, but hey. Also windows cracked about 11/2-2 inches with wind deflectors installed.

As to what to look for or avoid... Mine is "shiny bubble wrap" Good luck with yours.

4x4mike

Adventurer
I've got one in each car and I use mine most days if it's going to be over 80*. Both are SunShade brand and were purchased from the dealer. They run about $60 and they are great. We've used the $6 autoparts versions but aren't as good as the sunshades. The SunShade ones are thick, stay put and are quality all around. In my experience the auto parts ones last a couple months and are very thin. After a few months the foil starts flaking off and makes a huge mess.

These foil window shields are also nice to have in case you need to sit in wet grass or snow. We've used ours for more than just the windshield. It is nice and reflective as well so it could double as a signal for aircraft if needed.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
AZ they are a must if you want to be able to touch your steering wheel when you get in. Walmart carries the stiffer one made from bubble wrap as noted above. We tilt the sun roof and crack the sliding shade in AZ, but it also does not rain much here.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
When I purchased my car it had an Eclipse Sunshade installed on the windshield. It mounts to each side of the windshield. It took me about an hour to get used to it being there while driving. Now I don't even notice it. It closes in a few seconds and no need to find a place to store a cumbersome shade.

Here are a couple pics from their site:
yhst-25123196523298_2152_2242857

yhst-25123196523298_2152_2021208

NothingClever

Explorer
+2 for the Eclipse shade. I put one in my Tacoma and one in my wife's Subaru. They're a very handy accessory, IMO.

Last edited:

Ruination Fan

Adventurer
Just picked up a covercraft brand shade like the one you posted on amazon for under $30 for my xterra and just over $30 for our MBZ. They also offer a thicker model too.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
sun shade

I have the eclipse shade on two of my vehicles and have used it on other cars.

It works well and no hassle looking for someplace to put it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior