front wheel drive

I have a jeep 4x4 rubicon that i don't want to get rid of. I am thinking of buying a late model Ram promaster in 2500, they are only front wheel drive. I suspet i ownt do any thing like what i do inmy jeep My plans are to add 1.5 inch lift bigger more dirt worthy all terrains and a winch. MY question is how is does a 2 wheel dive do off road?

billiebob

the FWD only will be an issue off road. FWD is generally not built for off road conditions. You are buying a van setup for municipal delivery, not for carrying weight overland. A lift just adds stress to the FWD compnoents by changing the geometry beyond what it is designed to do.

If that van will do everything you need stock have at 'er. One of my suppliers drives one delivering parts, He averages over 1K miles a week. They are fabulous vehicles.

There is rarely a NEED for 4WD but if you want to do lifts, bigger tires etc, look at RWD.

GCAdventurer

Where did I put my keys??
I am currently using a Dodge Grand Caravan and with the limited slip differential I can go lots of places but the biggest drawback to fwd is ground clearance. No rock crawling/ mudding for me. 2B4A15A7-CE43-4206-8630-E4E4E2DA3ABD.jpeg

jhl99

The Promaster rear axle ground clearance is very limiting. (Square tube axle mounted below leaf springs)
The van is BIG, even the low roof is very tall. I memory serves, 7.5'
There is no low range. No creeper gear.
I own a 136" low roof 1500 PM, stock, except mild camper interior. I would never take it off-road, forest roads are ok, but nothing else because of size, weight, wheelbase and lack of creeper gear.
Head over to the www.promasterforums.com, there is a video somewhere that shows the front bumper removed.... there may not be anything substantial to mount a winch to.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
Imho, this is more of a question of your driving ability than the orientation of the drive wheels. I’ve gotten fwd vehicles to places some people couldn’t get a nicely outfitted 4wd truck. It’s more about the driver knowing their vehicle limitations than anything else. If you can judge those kind of limitations in your jeep, you should be able to do the same for any other vehicle.

personally, I’m still learning the limitations of my van. in my eyes it has more ability off road than I do. only 4wd I’ve had prior was an 88 sr5 v6 toyota that went wherever the hell I pointed it. Being top heavy with terrible departure is a hell of a lot different than that little yota, but gobs of torque goes a long ways with the heavy cow that is my van. I still surprise myself at where the thing can get us.

another good example would be our crv. It’s the farthest thing from a off road rig, but I can hang with my buddy’s 80 series lc in a lot more places than I thought it would. I typically just have to add speed since I don’t have a low gear...And before everyone freaks out, no we aren’t rock crawling or doing anything serious. Just trail runs through the woods and the desert. Creek crossings, some hill climbing, small technical crap, seeing how far we can go through snow, etc. I know damn well that lc is way more capable off-road than our crv.

Scotty D

One data point that I can add about the Promaster is that it seems to really suck in the sand. Over the last four years beach camping in baja , I have seen them stuck in places that they just should not be stuck in. Airing down helps a lot but modern wheels do not let you air down as much as because of the low profile.

WVI

Adventurer
Research the Promaster well. I like the price and interior, but I see to many neg reviews to want to try one as of now.
When stationed in Italy, we had a Ducato van as our admin vehicle. It had a manual trans. I really liked it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94