Front Spring Bush Advice Please

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi all
I was greasing the front Spring on the canter and notice a thin piece of rubber as shown in photos. A friend suggested it could be the result of too putting to much grease in joint. As I am only 1/4 of the way around Australia, is this something you would fix or leave until home in 15,000kms time? Any ideas on what it is or cause?
Thanks for you assistance in advance
Regards
Steve
image.jpg
image.jpg
By the way this last photo is upside down perspective

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Hi Steve,
These bushes don't last well. I wouldn't say from too much grease but yes it looks like it is falling apart normal as I see it. For me it is caused by the joint twisting and fatiguing the bush, can possibly be from getting hammered on corrugations. I carry spares with me. I would say order some and get them sent to you at a convenient place as they are not hard to replace. It might hold together it might not.
I've been getting them from here :-
http://www.brettstruck.com.au/p/1144050/10600029u-bush-12-urethane-22mm-x-40mm-x-46mm-poly-mitsubishi-fuso-truck-parts-poly-canter-shackle-bush-not-wrecking-nolathane-bush-unlike-soft-rubber-bushings-which-distort-under-heavy-braking-or-cornering-loads-10600029-.html
Undo the pin and place a jack between the spring and chassis to spread apart to remove old bush and insert new one.

Dan.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hi Steve,
These bushes don't last well. I wouldn't say from too much grease but yes it looks like it is falling apart normal as I see it. For me it is caused by the joint twisting and fatiguing the bush, can possibly be from getting hammered on corrugations. I carry spares with me. I would say order some and get them sent to you at a convenient place as they are not hard to replace. It might hold together it might not.
I've been getting them from here :-
http://www.brettstruck.com.au/p/1144050/10600029u-bush-12-urethane-22mm-x-40mm-x-46mm-poly-mitsubishi-fuso-truck-parts-poly-canter-shackle-bush-not-wrecking-nolathane-bush-unlike-soft-rubber-bushings-which-distort-under-heavy-braking-or-cornering-loads-10600029-.html
Undo the pin and place a jack between the spring and chassis to spread apart to remove old bush and insert new one.

Dan.

I'm replacing mine today. I don't think it is going to be too difficult to avoid mixing the old ones up with the new ones. :)

fqFoQYLh.jpg

kerry

Expedition Leader
And what sizes? Looks like there are a variety of sizes. Also, how long to ship from Australia?

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Thanks guys, a little more information, the bushes have done about 10,000km in the last six months. I am guessing no warranty will be available.
Dan is it the type of repair you can do yourself or is the spring likely to be a enormous paid to relive up again.

Heading to Alice Springs soon, can anyone recommend someone there to do job.
I am carrying. Couple of spares, from when they were replaced.

Thanks again everyone
Cheers
Steve

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
I have 2 sets as spares, and I only need one set for the fron drivers side hanger. That is the only one affected. I may get a new set sent to one of our next large destinations, but at the moment don't want too much of a delay in Alice.
Thanks for the info on swapping them out Dan. Doesn't sound too bad, but might get a price from Isuzu in Alice first.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Cheers from the road..Steve and Alison

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Certainly is a job you can do yourself along the side of the road if need be. I use a jack that is fairly short that I put in front of axle on top of the spring and up against the chassis. A little pressure on the jack so you can pull the pin (after undoing). One half will probably come out with the pin, now raise jack so other half can be removed. Don't use finger to remove bush just in case something moves. Insert that half and lower jack, put the other half on pin and insert into place. You may need to lever the spring a bit to get it all lined up and do up the nut. Rear ones nearly same procedure but put the jack behind the axle. The closer you can get the jack to the pin position the easier it all works.

Dan.

Bris31

Adventurer
12? Where do they go?
That was exactly what I was going to ask. My impression was that on each side, 2 in the front and 2 on the rear - so that would make 8 altogether.
This forum is so good, always learning from the comfort of an arm chair :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles