front runner ladder- lr4

anglotron

Observer
It's a poor design in my opinion. The rear handle is supposed to sit on top of the metal plate and I just can't understand why they notched the bottom corner of it out. I've had mine on for a couple of years and it was a pain to fit. I ended up filling the gaps with RTV.

IMG_7087.jpg

Okay, I'm in direct contact now with the FR sales rep who I bought my rack from. I sent him detailed pics of the ladder problem and corrosion problem on the rack corners. It was a long email and I kept it professional with FR support from ExpoPortal. I let him know there is a thread going wild in the portal about this ladder problem and it needs to be addressed because we are seeing some significant quality control issues on these products.

Let's give him a few days to run this down before we blow them up on the portal. He's responded directly to me and hope he has some good return responses with a way forward in the coming days.

Who's close to Aguora Hills that has these product issues installed on their rigs? I'm currently 2.5 hours south of them but not opposed to a road trip. I don't have a ladder installed though and I am proposing they accept a vehicle at their shop to assess each of these problems directly. We will see how they handle it.

I for one am huge in customer support; it is the number one thing that keeps my loyalty to a product. I want to give FR a legit opportunity to see and fix these problems in person as I believe that is the professional thing to do. I'm a huge FR supporter and want to continue to be.

Until then. :coffee:

roverpat

Observer
I will wait to see the outcome as this is most likely the ladder I will be going with as the Prospeed seems to have big quality issues and I do not like the VR ladder

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

keeper1616

Observer
I've got the ladder in northern OC - I've had it installed for about a year, and didn't notice the 'problem' until I read this thread. Now, I can see that I've got the same gap as everyone else, and can't unsee it!

Victory_Overland, let me know if you'd like me to head up that way and show someone what it is, I'm fairly flexible as long as it's not rush hour!

keeper1616

Observer
I will wait to see the outcome as this is most likely the ladder I will be going with as the Prospeed seems to have big quality issues and I do not like the VR ladder

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

the problem is that if you go with the FR rack, it limits what ladders you can use - to my knowledge, the FR ladder is the only one that will work with their rack, since the rack sits so far back compared to other racks.

I've got the ladder in northern OC - I've had it installed for about a year, and didn't notice the 'problem' until I read this thread. Now, I can see that I've got the same gap as everyone else, and can't unsee it!

Victory_Overland, let me know if you'd like me to head up that way and show someone what it is, I'm fairly flexible as long as it's not rush hour!

Will do. I expect I wink hear something back in a day or two and once I do, I'll try and coordinate getting them to look at these. Hell, I will challenge them to remove it and install it on your rig and if they can make if fit to their standard, I'll pay for it! Lol

Looking at that picture, I see the problem and it will never fit right. The bottom needs a relief cut or a shrink in the flange to coincide with the contour of the door. The made it flat, and the square peg doesn't fit in a round hole! Lol

I'll keep you posted.

Direct FR Contact

As expected, I have received positive feedback from Mr. Bryan Rush at FR. I've had nothing but great success and customer service from Bryan over the last few years so please go easy on him if you are having an issue.

Here is the email I sent him, I hope it helps you guys out. If I get anything else from him, I will let you know. Out of privacy, I did not put any of Bryan's responses, you'll just have to take my word that he is in it to service a great product.

******************************Begin Email*****************************************

Hey Bryan, thanks for emailing back. I hope all is going well.

So I've had my rack for about two years now. It gets a weekly freshwater rinse and corroding badly under the powder-coat on the pot metal corners. I'm not the only one having the issue as I'm active on Expedition Portal. See pictures attached. So essentially I have bad putting and bubbling powder-coat, and the worse thing is the run off onto my paint of my Land Rover. I love the rack, but this is quite a problem that many of us are seeing on the rack corners. I know a lot of European guys are having the same problem. Not to mention it looks horrible with white flaking corrosion all over the rack. It's only in the corners where the metal is cast but spreads to everything. Let me know how we can fix this If possible.

image1.JPG
image2.JPG

The other issue is the fitment on the LR3/4 ladder. The bottom corner on every ladder I've seen is like this. It does not align and pulls the panel off the back hatch allowing water to penetrate into the door mount area and electrical for the license bracket.

There is a thread running wild on ExpoPortal on this issue, and from the sounds of it, people are not getting any response from FR on this matter. Since I have you direct, I figured maybe I could see what you guys think of it. The pic below is on a buddy's LR3, and you can see the gap and alignment problem. No matter how it goes on, it just doesn't sit the way it should, pulls the panel on the door and can cause damage to the panel and water intrusion, not to mention the awkward fit. Maybe it's a jig problem in manufacturing, but there are at least ten people with the same problem on purchases over the last year or so for the LR3/4 ladder. Many guys are putting RTV in there to fill the large gap caused by the ladder pulling it out, but that is a band-aid and not a fix. Some are just going to other manufacturers out of frustration due to fitment and potential damage to their back hatch.

image3.JPG
image4.JPG

I'm a huge FR fan and supporter, especially since we have South African blood in the house, so I hate seeing people frustrated with this problem and want to help you guys out by letting you know.

I'm more than happy to get my rig or parts up there so you can see it and I know guys in the area of your shop that can bring a fitted ladder by to show the problem there.

Let me know how you would like to proceed?

Cheers,

E

*******************************End Email***************************************

My problem is fixed and new parts on the way. Bottom line, they are aware of a bad PC process from a while back on some, but not all of the racks/parts. The process has been fixed a long time ago and they are not aware of any further issues. My rack is about two years old so anything over the last year or so should be okay, depending on how long it sat on your distributor's shelf. If your rack is older, it may have the same issue as I did. Contact Bryan, and he will work with you to sort things out to the best of his ability. I am sure they have no idea how many could be affected, so a full recall was most likely not appropriate. However, they were made aware of a quality issue a while back and were able to fix that process so there should not be any further issues. I'll let FR speak to that. However, I am confident in their products, his response, and his action to resolve my issue.

Bryan also told me the ladder issue and pictures I sent him were immediately sent over to the engineers. He asked me to give him a bit to research, and he would respond as soon as he heard back with feedback from the engineering side.

Bryan also requested that anyone who has the ladder issue or other issues to contact him directly. Again, please don't just blast this guy, my impression is this is the first he's heard of it. I am not sure if anyone else has worked with him, but to me, he has always been a professional with the best customer service and I want to protect his reputation.

His contact information below, I hope this is able to help some of you fellas out.

FRONT RUNNER | Bryan Rush
Bryan@frontrunneroutfitters.com
29370 Roadside Dr, Agoura Hills, CA, 91301, USA
1 (818) 253-1322 FrontRunnerOutfitters.com

jkatka

Thanks for contacting Bryan and letting him know about our issues. It is nice to have his contact information. I will follow up with him in the next week or so and give him documentation of my issue.

Thanks,
Jeremy

krick3tt

Adventurer
As one of the posters said..'Never noticed it till I read the post' Same here. It is a straight piece of metal against a curved vehicle part. Never going to be different.
As long as it gets me safely up and down I can live with it.

A.J.M

Explorer
Just to add to VO earlier post.

I have had all 4 rack corners, the complete expedition tail kit and the full rack mounting system replaced under warranty on my full length slimline2 rack.

Rust issues noticed at 3 months old!!

Granted Scotland isn't a easy place for metal but it was fitted in September and rust spotted in November. So it had gone bad during what was a reasonably mild Autaum ( Fall for the colonies ) and had only been subjected to a couple of light frosts.

To the credit of the seller, he replaced everything that was faulty as I was not happy at spending just over £900 on a rack and kit for it to be rusting.

Currently got the replacents still in the garage as I haven't got round to fitting them.

Would spraying everything in lacquer help stop the rust again?
Or am I better off skipping the warranty and getting the full rack Raptor coated?

Edit to say that my Prospeed ladder has also suffered bad rust issues along both standing areas, all 6 step welds and the base of the "stirrup" step. I removed it and had it sand blasted clean and retreated. Again this is likely to get Raptor coated to protect it.

It does work with the FR rack. To about 90-95% open then the 2 small top loops hit the rack and the upper tailgate won't open further.

Remedy is to cut the loops off. Which may be a future mod.

I will say that the Prospeed ladder fits nicely and I've not had the issues you have experienced with the FR ladder.
I had read about them on an Australian Land Rover forum so the issue is global.

Last edited:

Bryan_FRO

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Guys - We want you to know our engineers are aware of the gap in some of the ladder installations. Please feel free to contact us through any of our support channels (phone, email, web contact form, live chat) so we can help you out! We have comprehensive warranties and will do whatever we can to make sure you're satisfied with the look of the product when installed. Thanks!

Bryan@FrontRunnerOutfitters.com

Hi Guys - We want you to know our engineers are aware of the gap in some of the ladder installations. Please feel free to contact us through any of our support channels (phone, email, web contact form, live chat) so we can help you out! We have comprehensive warranties and will do whatever we can to make sure you're satisfied with the look of the product when installed. Thanks!

Bryan@FrontRunnerOutfitters.com

Top notch Bryan. Thanks for the support. My rack corners showed up today.

Cheers,

Eric

NYCRover

Observer
Reviving this thread since it's been a while.

I completely forgot about this situation with FR and emailed Bryan the customer rep. He got back to me right away and told me they just got a shipment of the new stainless steel ladders and sent it out the same day I emailed him. Just got it and going to probably install it next week. Will get back to you guys on fitment/finish of the new ladder once that happens.

While the time line to remedy the situation was longer than I would have anticipated, I do appreciate FR making it right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles