Front Mounted Trailer Hitch Motorcycle Carrier, Does anyone use one?

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Does anyone mount a trailer hitch motorcycle carrier on the front of their vehicle?
I just bought a 2003 Honda xr650L and i am trying to decide if it's do-able? I know I need to look at my vehicle weight capacities (front axle, etc) to see if it's even possible. I have a Ford F350 DRW 4x4 truck.
If anyone has experience... what carrier do you use and do you have any recommendations? Thanks!

sandalscout

Adventurer
I don't, but this was recently discussed on the Xt225 thread over at ADV. two of the guys there carried there xt225 on the front of their trucks, a Tacoma anda Titan. I suspect that you will have no problems. I can't recommend any specific models though. Sorry.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I worked hard to make my Sprinter carry the Honda TLR200 I had, but I didn't figure I could drive very far before The Law would have a problem with it. Your mileage may vary, but the bike blocked my headlights, turn signals and front license plate.

And using the Joe Hauler carrier I used meant that there was a good three feet sticking out in front of the front bumper to remember about, including a couple of square tubes pointed end-on at any unfortunate pedestrian. Who you might not see, since the bike blocked your front view considerably. My bike was a small one, and I was still surprised at how far above the hood it went and how much of the front view it blocked. I have an XR600R and it would cause a huge hit to my overall visibility if mounted up front.

I had enough allowable front axle payload on my Sprinter to carry my bike, so I can't imagine that your big Ford would have a problem unless you've already added a motorcycle's worth of bumper, winch, lights, etc.

And the carrier worked just fine in the front receiver and it rode well pretty nice up there. It was just the associated problems that did in the plan. It might be a workable strategy in a relatively isolated situation, but I couldn't responsibly drive around that way if there was any traffic.

Honda-50

I have a Hidden Hitch front mount on my 2WD F250SD w/Lance camper. With a JoeHauler-type carrier my XR250 seems WAY out there & high. It was stable enough & didn't block my vision but it does block the headlights. When I suspect I'll be traveling after dark, I use my trailer.

I still consider it a worthy endeavor, but in my case, a more customized arrangement would have to be devised.

tbared

Life participant
I have been working on this as well, I fabricated a custom dual receiver set up on the back bumper to accompany the single center reciever back there. I have aready used the rear to haul a freezer full of Caribou and am fabricating a mounting system for two Honda Enduros and a 50 of my daughters. Being on the back bumper i foresee no legal repercussions. But i have been wondering about using the dual mount up front so as not to inhibit trailer use or entry into the box. I know of an individual who had built the same set up for his Yamaha Kodiak ofr the rear dual mount, i was curous about the weight and leverage, but he would travel hundreds of miles on wisconsin highways with it( they are rough to say the least, especially during frost season). Anyways i am curious to see what that consensus might be on this. And i will be experimenting over the winter hear as well. I know for a fact that a company had produced a Christmas tree mount for the rear hitch, but the Feds came down on that quickly because of blocking tailight views( i actually made my own and have used it for some time with no troubles). But if you were to add plow light up front that might overcome any possible legal infringment, i dont know.

anyways im subscribed

hartselrider

would bike block cooling?

I remember seeing some guys with a front mount rack removing pieces of the bike as their truck was overheating

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles