Front LSD for FUSO

GR8ADV

Explorer
Did I dream this or a few months back did somebody post about a new Front lsd for the fuso. I could not find anything searching. Am I losing it? Thanks

GR8ADV

Explorer
I thought Allen or somebody came up with something new with respect to your diff lock. Maybe I am losing it.

alan

Explorer
Did I dream this or a few months back did somebody post about a new Front lsd for the fuso. I could not find anything searching. Am I losing it? Thanks

Yes we have the torsen LSD and now the electric locker for the front mits diff's, the electric locker is made from billet steel as there was no cast hemispheres big enough to use.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
My opinion is the "Torsen front diff centre" is of more use to general running around because it is there all the time and works really well when you are running on loose gravel and in mud - probably snow. The locker is more suited to hard core use as in climbing over rocks as such and when it is engaged will make steering very hard.
Apparently rally cars now use Torsen style centres in there diffs.
I might look at one for my farm Canter down the track though.

Just my Idea,
Dan.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Yes we have the torsen LSD and now the electric locker for the front mits diff's, the electric locker is made from billet steel as there was no cast hemispheres big enough to use.
. At the risk of showing my ignorance, is this an LSD that can be locked, or a traditional diff with locking ability. Thx

alan

Explorer
. At the risk of showing my ignorance, is this an LSD that can be locked, or a traditional diff with locking ability. Thx

Hi,
Yes the LSD is traditional style, the advantage of this torsen style LSD is they don't wear out and pretty much maintenance free apart from oil changes, great for general touring, as Dan explained the elocker is more for extreme off road conditions. we have sold one to Andrew Amesz, I'm sure he will give it a good workout!!:smiley_drive:

Amesz00

Adventurer
Yep, just gotta find time to have it fitted.. Definitely looking forward to the winter fourbying with it in. There's not much around here in the summer except sand and dust 😒

plh

Explorer
Are manual locking hubs required for the front when using a Torsen unit up there? For on road / highway use I mean.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Are manual locking hubs required for the front when using a Torsen unit up there?

Free wheeling hubs on the front should give you better tyre wear.
Remember... unless you have 4WD engaged you are not going to utilise the front diff.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Free wheeling hubs are not necessary to be able to run on the road / highway as the centre acts like a normal diff. It only locks (if you want to call it that) when it is powered as in 4WD and one wheel starts to spin. For us we drive in 2WD hubs unlocked on really good road / highway. Go to 4WD hubs locked in on rougher dirt roads and tracks and then we get the advantage of the Torsen Centre as it helps with cornering on loose surfaces. Steering is generally no heavier than normal but with a diff lock , locked in steering gets heavier as one wheel has to skid around to turn.

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles