Front lockers

erin

Explorer
I would definitely agree with Scott on this. I have yet to drive in any snow with them, but as I have said before, they can be tricky when it's wet, even on pavement. Even dry pavement, get on the gas thru a corner, and the inside tire is breaking loose almost immeadiately. The torwue bias on them compared to other limited slips is much greater, I think they are 3:1, where most are around 2:1.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
ARB

Do it once, do it right. My experiance with front lockers is heavily biased towards hard core crawlin', but is tempered by driving a fully locked rig over 45,000 miles of combined street and trail use. It is currently spooled front and rear.

One of the biggest regrets I have is how much money I spent on two broken Detroits, and the current front spool in the BPOS trail rig. An ARB is the best solution for a front locker. Believe it or not, I could have payed for front and rear ARB's in just the cost savings in tires alone over a 4 year period. Rear spools EAT tires, front lockers aren't as much of a factor in tire wear.

One thing I will add is that a spooled front end, and no matter how you look at it, an ARB is a spool when engaged, will dramatically decrease turning radius, and increase steering effort 10 fold. It is very hard on stock steering compontents, and I found i need to change out power steering fluid on an annual basis. I have seen situations when an ARB will not disengage due to being bound up, so throwing the switch may not offer relief. And there may be situations where you REALLY don't want to be unlocked.

You mention snow and a front locker. In ice they suck, in deep snow they rock. I'm kinda wierd - I prefer to drive my spooled truck in crappy snow/ice conditions over the Taco, but then again, I'm very familiar with it's quirks.

Mark

Last edited:

Redback

Adventurer
Have you tried to call TJM about their new Pro locker, it's made by Jack McNamara for TJM, here JMac make a locker for the Prado and i'm fairly sure the Prado has the same running gear as the Tacoma.

The Prado
8291.jpg

Baz.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Information and opinions

Thanks for all the replies. My reasoning for this post was two fold. First, it was a bit of a challenge to find as much relevant information (i.e. Tacoma specific) for the True Track so I figured the information may help other members who are considering this option. The second was to get some feedback from people who have either locker in their Tacoma.

Cheer :beer:,
P

DaveInDenver said:
If it's a money question, I would leave the front open and spend the money elsewhere instead of a non-selectable locker in the front.

Great point, but you know how it is, I want it now! :violent-smiley-031:

BajaTaco said:
I agree with Dave, especially since you have a winch. I think the item #3 that you cited would be a big detractor where you live. I also believe you have a manual trans (no?) and doing the brake pedal thing isn't so fun or reliable - especially if you are in a situation that is requiring you to be locked at both ends (often precarious where flopping or sliding is concerned). If the added cost is a serious concern, try to hold out for a private-party sale to get the cost down a little bit (one just sold on yotatech recently).

I do have a winch and as I mentioned the winter driving was a major concern as well as potential bearing issues as outlined in the TTORA thread I linked to in my previous post. The brake, pedal and clutch trick is indeed a challenge!

Nullifier said:
Get the ARB unit and be done with it. You will have all the verstility that you need whenever you need it.

Agreed, I have pretty much convinced myself to go the ARB route by the time I was done writing my previous post. Good work on the successful recoveries.

expeditionswest said:
If you spend a lot of time in snow and ice, I would avoid the tru-trac. Other than that, I really like them, especially on a vehicle with traction control.

Winter driving on snow and ice is just a fact of life here so you can’t avoid it unless you stay home! That would be nice.

erin said:
I would definitely agree with Scott on this. I have yet to drive in any snow with them, but as I have said before, they can be tricky when it's wet, even on pavement. Even dry pavement, get on the gas thru a corner, and the inside tire is breaking loose almost immeadiately. The torwue bias on them compared to other limited slips is much greater, I think they are 3:1, where most are around 2:1.

Erin, thanks again for answering all my questions. I appreciate your feedback. Real world experience is what I was looking for.

crawler#976 said:
ARB

Do it once, do it right.

:iagree:
I could not agree more. I’ve been down that route with my suspension set up rev 3 up front and rev. 4 at the back and still not done!

Redback said:
Have you tried to call TJM about their new Pro locker, it's made by Jack McNamara for TJM, here JMac make a locker for the Prado and i'm fairly sure the Prado has the same running gear as the Tacoma.

I have not tried to contact TJM about their Pro-locker. I’m going to stick with ARB because they have been tried and tested. I’m not saying that TJM makes inferior products. In fact I have one of their front bumpers and really like it.

Brian894x4

Explorer
In front of my rig, I've run a TrueTrac, a Lockrite and now an ARB.

With the Truetrac, my take on it was that it was better than nothing, probably better than most limited slips, but I always felt like it was never engaging when I wanted it to and it was when I didn't. For example, when I was stuck in snow, I could never seem to get it to work, but when I was driving on ice, I might as well have spools front and rear, which was pretty dangerous. Sent to me to the ditch one time.

I like to drive around with the hubs locked in 4WD on gravel roads for safety reasons. The steering was heavier and noticable, but not bad.

With the Lockrite, it literally was spools front and rear most of the time and I didn't even attempt to drive in ice and snow. I absolutely hated how it drove in 4WD. The steering was very heavy and unpredictable. After almost driving off a cliff, because I couldn't get the steering to turn fast enough, I said screw it and went with an ARB.

It was spendy as heck and yes, I hardly use it, but I haven't looked back since. I wish I would have done it in the first place. I wouldn't go any other way up front, except if an ARB wasn't in my budget, I'd probably leave the front open and stock.

Redback

Adventurer
p1michaud said:
Thanks for all the replies. My reasoning for this post was two fold. First, it was a bit of a challenge to find as much relevant information (i.e. Tacoma specific) for the True Track so I figured the information may help other members who are considering this option. The second was to get some feedback from people who have either locker in their Tacoma.

Cheer :beer:,
P

Great point, but you know how it is, I want it now! :violent-smiley-031:

I do have a winch and as I mentioned the winter driving was a major concern as well as potential bearing issues as outlined in the TTORA thread I linked to in my previous post. The brake, pedal and clutch trick is indeed a challenge!

Agreed, I have pretty much convinced myself to go the ARB route by the time I was done writing my previous post. Good work on the successful recoveries.

Winter driving on snow and ice is just a fact of life here so you can’t avoid it unless you stay home! That would be nice.

Erin, thanks again for answering all my questions. I appreciate your feedback. Real world experience is what I was looking for.

:iagree:
I could not agree more. I’ve been down that route with my suspension set up rev 3 up front and rev. 4 at the back and still not done!

I have not tried to contact TJM about their Pro-locker. I’m going to stick with ARB because they have been tried and tested. I’m not saying that TJM makes inferior products. In fact I have one of their front bumpers and really like it.

There's an old saying "when your on a good thing, stick to it"

Baz.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
More info on TrueTracks...

p1michaud said:
Officially there is no TrueTrack listed that will work for the Toyota 7.5” front diff after 1995 (refer to attached .pdf file) but some people have successfully installed them in their Tacoma front diff (namely erin on this board). There may be an issue with the bearings provided with the True Track that would cause an issue with ADD equipped trucks, more on this below. It seems that the True Track is causing the front drive shaft together to turn constantly causing some drive line vibrations.

I've also been following this TrueTrack thread on TTORA where TrueTrack provided this guys with a prototype locker. It looks like he had some issues. Another good reason to go with ARB. Tried and tested technology!
Cheers :beer:,
P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier