Front Locker is it needed?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
People bring up good true points here, but if you are overlanding should you not choose routes that will break your vehicle or leave you stuck for an undetermined amount of time.
Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

In soviet Russia, route chooses you.

And canada is no different. Your just driving the easiest trail in the whole world, then all of a sudden....... you're not.

Hoooogan

If you don't rock crawl on a regular basis (which you said you don't do at all), spend the money on something you will use everyday. Put it toward suspension or A/T tires or the compressor setup you were talking about. You will be extremely surprised how far open diffs with aired down A/T's (15-20psi) can take you with the right line choice and driver mod. Plus you have a rear locker, A-TRAC and crawl control on that Off Road Premium.

All those features make for a similar experience to having front and rear lockers. Learn how and when to use them. You already paid for those.

billiebob

Some say it is a complete waste to need 4WD, but we don't all go the same routes, and lockers let you do it with more control.
Not sure what I said, but I got edited for language yet what I replied to.....

"It is complete bs that you would need amything more."

still stands

I'm thinking the moderators are being too sensitive. I know we are family friendly, but this is an adult forum, no one is overlanding without a drivers license.

Last edited by a moderator:

billiebob

If you don't rock crawl on a regular basis (which you said you don't do at all), spend the money on something you will use everyday. Put it toward suspension or A/T tires or the compressor setup you were talking about. You will be extremely surprised how far open diffs with aired down A/T's (15-20psi) can take you with the right line choice and driver mod. Plus you have a rear locker, A-TRAC and crawl control on that Off Road Premium.

All those features make for a similar experience to having front and rear lockers. Learn how and when to use them. You already paid for those.
For me lockers let me tread lightly. Uphill or down, aired up, aired down, lockers especially in a straight line mean nothing will tear up the tera firma. No one is saying airing down and having a compressor is a bad idea, but until you drive with selectable front and rear lockers, you will fail to understand the difference, advantage they offer. Spend a year with them, you will never want to go anywhere without them again.

D

Deleted member 9101

If it was me... I'd slap on some all terrain tires and go camping. I'd wait a while before spending time and money on a lift, lockers, and gears. 4 Runners are pretty capable off of the show room floor... You might find that the roads/trails that you want to run don't require a modified vehicle.

billiebob

If it was me... I'd slap on some all terrain tires and go camping. I'd wait a while before soending time and money on a lift, lockers, and gears. 4 Runners are pretty capable off of the show room floor... You might find that the roads/trails that you want to run don't require a modified vehicle.
This ^^^^^ for sure.
Drive it til you find a need.
Then either do the mods or..... buy something built to do what you need.

After 40 years of building, modifying, hot rodding vehicles I bought an old Rubicon this week.... there will be no lift, no big tires, it'll stay mostly stock.
ps, it came with lockers..............

image.jpeg

phsycle

Adventurer
For me lockers let me tread lightly.

Ability to “tread lightly” is the key here. On a video I saw the other day, some moron was going through a trail to see if he could do it in 2WD. Burning rubber, throwing dirt/rocks everywhere as he tried to claw his way up the trail.

4WD lets you do it without tearing up the terrain and your vehicle. If lockers allow you to do that better, I’m all for it.

For the stuff that I like to do, rear locker and good tires are about all I need.

Well I dont throw my opinion in very often. I have been offroad jeeping since I was 14. Bought my first jeep at that age and am 50 now. I have owned and built, modified 13 jeeps for off road use. I have been part of jeep offroad clubs. I agree with both sides of the arguement but not to the original poster. After all the years I have seen too many newbies wreck their rigs and the environment because they put lockers in and thought they are king offroaders. Lockers will get you into trouble if you do not have the experience to use them. In snow and especially ice they will spit you off the road because both tires are spinning. Trust me I have been there and had it happen. I have ridden jeeps off the side of mountain forest service roads and spent days winching them out. Do i think lockers are good to have and a smart purchase. Absolutely but not for newbies without experience. And not on the front end only. In the jeep world a lot of people modify the jeeps to be able to engage the front dif and front locker only disengaging the rear end so they can pull themselves around a obstacle. I have seen a lot of blown up front diffs and have been on the rescue crew to go in with another diff to install and get the rig back out. Lockers are hard on front ends and components. My advise to anyone with any level of experience is to first purchase good recovery gear and good tires before anything. Good recovery gear means a winch, straps, tree savers, bubba wrope, shackles, gloves, etc. And learn how to properly use them and maintenance them.
Either choice you make is great. Stay safe and dont subject other people to stupid decisions without proper gear.

utherjorge

Observer
Either choice you make is great. Stay safe and dont subject other people to stupid decisions without proper gear.
Really good post; I have held off on front lockers until I can get the hub disconnects installed on my rig. I need to learn my rig's behavior before adding on complexity

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have had a few ex-military vehicles and they all come with selectable lockers front and rear. Sometimes you need them and sometimes you don't. I would rather have them than not, for that time when the path changes. My LR has the ability to engage them when the vehicle feels the need and I really like that.
Turning tightly with front lockers engaged can be an interesting experience, especially if you are not expecting them to be there.
I would definitely have them on both front and rear, but only if selectable from the cab, not to have to get out and engage them like I had to do on the Toyota.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
3.73 is a near perfect ratio for 33s, and with a powerful engine there is no need to go deeper unless you are building a trailered buggy.... but for a vehicle which sees more highway and forestry road than rugged off roading and rock crawling going deeper than 3.73 will have more cons than pros.

My TJ Rubicon has 4.10s with 33s and I always wish for taller 3.73s.

I'd go with the advice several have offered, use it as an overlander for a year before committing to a regear.
I had a Jeep Cherokee with a manual 5 speed. I went with 33"s and 4.56 gears and loved it.

Boatbuilder79

A selectable locker or limited slip in the front is definitely worth it in my opinion.

like another poster said the biggest Beni fit to meis they let you slow down and not tear up the land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles