Front Locker is it needed?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The traction control can still spin the front tires a ton if there's rough patches shifting weight left and right causing the diff to unload quicker than the TSC can keep up.

Front locker is still easier on terrain. It ratchets just fine in turns, I don't notice any excessive trail wear at all. Rear selectable lockers, when locked are the hardest on trails around here. But with a front autolocker, we can usually skip using the rear in switchbacks.

utherjorge

Observer
The traction control can still spin the front tires a ton if there's rough patches shifting weight left and right causing the diff to unload quicker than the TSC can keep up.

Front locker is still easier on terrain. It ratchets just fine in turns, I don't notice any excessive trail wear at all. Rear selectable lockers, when locked are the hardest on trails around here. But with a front autolocker, we can usually skip using the rear in switchbacks.
Besides replying to your post, I also wanted to mention I love your avatar and name here, being a peculiar English teacher as I am, still trying to make my seniors read that in 2020.

Picking Buli's and anyone else's brain. I have an Amigo, and loads of options (including e-lockers) for my rear Dana. Not a concern, and something I expect to do.

I do think I'm going to drive it around some to see how I like it first...but I could do either an auto-locker or ARB air for the front. Really torn over how often I'd use it vs. cost of installation, and wondering about that. Thoughts, anyone?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
You have to be a bit more careful with an autolocker and IFS. But we do it all the time. If you can afford an air locker, go for it. For example, if you hardly ever use 4wd, and it's a straight ahead shot through some slop, the autolockers have no draw backs in the front.

When I lived in Florida, we only used 4wd for washed out ruts and ditch crossings. All the trails and dirt roads were 2wd friendly. My F350's front diff was welded into a spool.

There are specific uses, where I only recommend an autolocker up front, but those ain't an IFS SUV.

Last edited:

Lovetheworld

There's also a value in simple, very lightweight vehicles. I'm continually amazed by what I can do with my mostly-stock 33 year old, 60hp, Suzuki Samurai.

Yes very true, but my 75 horsepower had to drive something above 2500kg 4x4 camper :p

No one is arguing with you, but once you try front and rear selectable lockers you will be a convert. Mostly because you can do it all and tread lighter. 2WD needs momentum. 4WD needs wheel speed. All locked up lets you crawl and tread lightly. If you are basing your opinion on mud bogs and rock crawling, you won't understand. If you wheel in an ultralight you do understand and when you have selectable lockers, front and rear, you'll be WOW.

Yes of course it is an upgrade, and it will do nicely.

However, talking about what a necessity is, no I believe it is not.
Because people are spending thousands of dollars on there cars, which in fact itself is holding them back from travelling. Because they have to work more.

My opinion is that you have to get to know the vehicle. There is no point in modifying a vehicle if you don't know what the limits are.
If you really get to know the vehicle, most people who are new to 4x4 will already be surprised what you can do with it. And will likely not take it to the edge of what the car can do.

A standard 4x4 gets you to so many awesome places in the world. A lot of time people are just making it worse, which includes overloading vehicles. But also the modifications can cause some side effects.

As for my own modifications. I am only really happy with the small lift that I gave it, because the ground clearance was really low. Anything after that was mostly pointless.

utherjorge

Observer
When I lived in Florida, we only used 4wd for washed out ruts and ditch crossings. All the trails and dirt roads were 2wd friendly. My F350's front diff was welded into a spool.

The Isuzu Rodeo/Amigo has a push button 4x4 engagement, with shiftable hi-lo...but I'm going to go manual hubs, so I could always disengage the hubs and be forced to stay in 2wd with a rear locker.

MTVR

Yup.

In my case, my vehicle came stock with five electronically selectable lockers, but I haven't had to use any of them yet.

And I don't think that treading lightly is really an option for me...

Fishenough

Creeper
People bring up good true points here, but if you are overlanding should you not choose routes that will break your vehicle or leave you stuck for an undetermined amount of time. Or both.

Ive had a couple of Land cruisers, having both broken a front axle and another time gotten impossibly stuck. All fun to look back on those adventures years ago, but after many travels through the far north of North America far from assistance and dodgy sat phone coverage, we are careful about choosing a route going forward. Currently have a 4Runner with E locker and no desire for front locker as our adventures are solo and hours down remote roads

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier