Front License Plate mount

JMacs

Observer
So I picked up a CBI Cover Front Bumper and Smittybuilt winch over Christmas. Nebraska, in their infinite wisdom, has determined that we need a license plate in the front. I am trying to find a flip up license plate holder that works with the sloped front of the CBI bumper. There are roller mount versions, but I have synthetic and a hawse fairlead.

Tuffy has a flip-up one, but it only appears to go 90 degrees. Not sure that is enough to clear the cable if I am pulling straight or slightly higher than the hawse fairlead. There are roller mount versions, but I have synthetic cable and a hawse fairlead.

Warrior makes a removable version, but I would be worried that the thumb screws holding it on would vibrate lose, or someone’s sticky fingers would loosen them.

Cascadia 4x4 has a nice one. And they are pretty proud of it. $89 and the hinge looks like it came from 80/20.

Shockworks is almost as proud, $54 painted.

Anybody have any other options out there? If not, I might end up with the Tuffy mounted where the light bar is supposed to go.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Use the flip-up upside down?

Use strong magnets or Velcro?

Just screw the plate to the bumper somewhere?

personally, I use the roller clip-on from Smittybilt and it is crazy strong.

ericvs

I don't know the exact bumper you got, but doesn't your CBI bumper have these 4 holes for a front plate mount? If not, what about just mounting it down there anyway, just drill a few holes and Robert is your mothers brother.
1611025865673.png

or if that wouldn't work, what about bending the plate and mounting it in a position like this:
1611026004416.png

need to add holes for sure (someone above mentioned rivnuts) but that could work?

Also, we are supposed to run front plates where I live, but I haven't mounted mine up yet, but I do have it in the van with me. I have a couple of excuses planned out, but I haven't been hassled yet. I figure it will be a 2nd infraction whenever I get pulled over, but that is another potential option. Just don't run it and have the conversations with the police officers in your head a bunch of times haha

JMacs

Observer
NatersXJ6, I like the idea of upside down. I will have to look at that.
ericsvs, I have been trying to come up with some good excuses too. But with my luck , I will get the officer who spilt the coffee in his lap and dropped a donut while catching up to me. (No, I don’t disrespect cops. I have friends who are and play up on that stereotype.).

Unfortunately, CBI didn’t lave much space. It takes up more space on here than you think it would.

, 1611029920605.jpeg

blacklbzbeauty

Until 1 July 2020 Ohio has required a front plate. In 30 years of non-compliance, I had one warning from a state trooper.
Hopefully Nebraska will soon bow to the will of the people and follow suit ;)

JMacs

Observer
They tried changing the law about 4-5 years ago. Shot down. People are a little stuck in te
heir ways here. There are some who believe change is good. Just for everybody else.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
On my Demello bumper they made the LP mounting point down pretty low. You kind of have to crouch down to see it I you are standing close by, but about the only person who is ever going to care is the meter maid and nobody has ever given me grief about it. But I can see from the pic above that is not really an option, unless you have another fill plate under the bumper.

48276845317_691201fdb1_b.jpg

Speedphreak

Google "shackle mount license plate". There are a variety of ready made plate holders that bolt on to the bumper D rings.

Would also be really easy to fabricate your own as well.

kwill

Observer
I use industrial strength Velcro. Pound it on with your fist and after a while you cannot remove the plate without bending it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online