front end refresh on 2004 AC tundra question.

wiggilez

I'm thinking of just getting new control arms that already have bushings in them, I'm planning on ordering from rockauto, any recommendations on Moog VS ACdelco for upper and lower control arms.

I'm going to get OEM toyota for the balljoints

I'm also going to replace the bushings on the swaybar end links.

I just replaced the steering rack, inner and outer back in early FEB 2020 so I don't need to worry about that, and I'm waiting on fabtech to get back to me on weather or not the bushing in the coilover to LCA is the same size as the toyota one.

Anything else I should look into front suspension wise while I'm in there?

thank you.

Sway bar links and tie rods, inspect and replace if needed. They are pretty cheap and since your going to get an alignment anyways, might as well.

Also depending how much it will cost you for new upper arms plus oem ball joint, you may just want to consider some spc arms (come with bushings and ball joint)

coastiehawk

I just replaced the lower control arms on my 2005 tundra. I payed the extra money and went with OEM through Olathe Toyota Parts Center (parts.olathetoyota.com). So far they are the most discounted OEM parts I've been able to find. I've read too many stories on these forums of guys using Moog or some other brand for lower control arm bushings and having them go bad quickly. I would also recommend buying new adjusting cam bolts and sleeves as our trucks are notorious for these corroding and seizing, some guys have even had to cut them out. I slapped some anti-seize on mine for good measure, the old ones were not seized but they were definitely starting to corrode pretty bad. I also run the SPC uppers and have really enjoyed them so far, but they are pricey as well.

D

Deleted member 9101

I used Moog on my 2002 and they never gave me a problem.

wiggilez

I just replaced the lower control arms on my 2005 tundra. I payed the extra money and went with OEM through Olathe Toyota Parts Center (parts.olathetoyota.com). So far they are the most discounted OEM parts I've been able to find. I've read too many stories on these forums of guys using Moog or some other brand for lower control arm bushings and having them go bad quickly. I would also recommend buying new adjusting cam bolts and sleeves as our trucks are notorious for these corroding and seizing, some guys have even had to cut them out. I slapped some anti-seize on mine for good measure, the old ones were not seized but they were definitely starting to corrode pretty bad. I also run the SPC uppers and have really enjoyed them so far, but they are pricey as well.

hmm, never head of SPC, but two people have mentioned them now, guess I'll look into it. I've heard the same thing when people talk about after market ball joints, but not the bushings, I suppose I'll have to do more research on that too.

I used Moog on my 2002 and they never gave me a problem.

I remember from my more active jeep days that a lot of guys liked the moog ball joints, but people here all say that at least the for ball joints I should spring for OEM, but I no one seems to have issues with their bushings.

Sway bar links and tie rods, inspect and replace if needed. They are pretty cheap and since your going to get an alignment anyways, might as well.

Also depending how much it will cost you for new upper arms plus oem ball joint, you may just want to consider some spc arms (come with bushings and ball joint)

Ill look into the SPC stuff, and hopfully I won't have to do the inner and outer tierods any time soon, as they are only 3ish months old.

Kpack

Adventurer
Why not swap out the UCA's for something aftermarket while you're in there? SPC might not be a bad option if you want to stick with ball joints. Otherwise something like Camburg or Total Chaos for uniballs. They'll allow you to achieve better alignment, they are more robust, and will give you options for the future if you decide to lift or use larger tires.

Everything else on your list looks good. I've read of a couple of people using the Moog LCA's + bushings, but haven't heard of anyone using ACdelco. I stuck with my original OEM LCA's and had the bushings replaced instead.

+1 on what @coastiehawk said. Always replace your cam bolts with OEM, and use plenty of anti seize or chassis grease to keep them from rusting and seizing together. Mine all had to be cut off. It was a nightmare.

wiggilez

Why not swap out the UCA's for something aftermarket while you're in there? SPC might not be a bad option if you want to stick with ball joints. Otherwise something like Camburg or Total Chaos for uniballs. They'll allow you to achieve better alignment, they are more robust, and will give you options for the future if you decide to lift or use larger tires.

Everything else on your list looks good. I've read of a couple of people using the Moog LCA's + bushings, but haven't heard of anyone using ACdelco. I stuck with my original OEM LCA's and had the bushings replaced instead.

+1 on what @coastiehawk said. Always replace your cam bolts with OEM, and use plenty of anti seize or chassis grease to keep them from rusting and seizing together. Mine all had to be cut off. It was a nightmare.

considering I already have those maybe I should look into after market arms, thankfully my tires are wearing evenly so far, I suggested the ACdelco stuff mostly because they are the GM OEM, and therefore can't be that bad right? well that what my train of though was anyways.

1500 miles on my SPC's over mixed pavement and gravel/trails and I've been happy so far. I've read that the uniballs take a bit more maintenance simply because they're unsealed and exposed to the elements which if I were to use those here in Alaska, not long and they'd be toast from all the glacial silt. I kept my OE control arms and installed Polyurethane bushings from Daystar which took a lot of work to install but have been great so far. OE lower ball joints ONLY. I also used Poly sway bar bushings and the ride has been great with all parts. If you have any questions on the Poly install, look at my build thread "Big Blue"

wiggilez

1500 miles on my SPC's over mixed pavement and gravel/trails and I've been happy so far. I've read that the uniballs take a bit more maintenance simply because they're unsealed and exposed to the elements which if I were to use those here in Alaska, not long and they'd be toast from all the glacial silt. I kept my OE control arms and installed Polyurethane bushings from Daystar which took a lot of work to install but have been great so far. OE lower ball joints ONLY. I also used Poly sway bar bushings and the ride has been great with all parts. If you have any questions on the Poly install, look at my build thread "Big Blue"

I'm probably going to stick with rubber as I find my suspension already stiff enough.

Kpack

Adventurer
You didn't mention what you have as far as suspension. Aftermarket coilovers? Bilstein? OEM? Whatever you have installed will play more of a role in stiffness than anything else. Also, if you have E-rated tires it's going to feel stiff no matter what.

I ended up replacing my LCA bushings with rubber for the same reason you mentioned, and my truck remains a stiffer ride. But with the tires and suspension I have, that's what it's going to be. It's no passenger car.

wiggilez

You didn't mention what you have as far as suspension. Aftermarket coilovers? Bilstein? OEM? Whatever you have installed will play more of a role in stiffness than anything else. Also, if you have E-rated tires it's going to feel stiff no matter what.

I ended up replacing my LCA bushings with rubber for the same reason you mentioned, and my truck remains a stiffer ride. But with the tires and suspension I have, that's what it's going to be. It's no passenger car.

I'm running s rated sumitomo encounters. and it already had some some basic white body fabtech coilovers on it. I'm pretty pleased with both of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles