front axle seal replacement

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
The front diff. of my NM has a leaking oil seal on the left hand side (driver side). It's just a small leak now, but wanted to take care of it...
I'm wondering if others have replaced this fifteen dollar part themselves, rather than paying someone.
The only worry I have is that the FSM calls for "special tool" MB990934 to seat the new seal in the differential carrier. Does anyone have experience replacing this seal without using MM's special tool? If so, what did you use, and how did it turn out?
Thanks

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The front diff. of my NM has a leaking oil seal on the left hand side (driver side). It's just a small leak now, but wanted to take care of it...
I'm wondering if others have replaced this fifteen dollar part themselves, rather than paying someone.
The only worry I have is that the FSM calls for "special tool" MB990934 to seat the new seal in the differential carrier. Does anyone have experience replacing this seal without using MM's special tool? If so, what did you use, and how did it turn out?
Thanks

I don't have the FSM in front of me so I'm not sure about the exact location but I suspect the following....

Special tool MB990934 = correct size socket + mallet/hammer to press the new seal in place. You may also be able to use the old seal as a 'softer' protective spacer between the new seal and steel socket.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Thanks for the reply.
That's what I was thinking, however, the size of the seal is so large that I don't have anything near the diameter in my tool chest.
I guess I should start calling industrial tool shops to see if they have the size I need. I've got one week before a back-country trip to get this handled...
Thanks for the good idea about using the old seal as a 'buffer'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94