Front axle rubber boot repair, NPS

Stafford

One boot is torn badly on my 93 NPS. Been putting this off for awhile as i cant bear doing it in the dirt and dont have a workshop at the moment. Would it be anexpensice repair for a shop to do, and is there likely to be alot of damage if i leave it? Been torn for 12 months but not been offroad much in that time.
Thanks for any advice, a bit swamped by all the little jobs!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
is there likely to be a lot of damage if i leave it?
Any split in a CV boot will allow water and/or dirt to get into the grease and ultimately cause more wear to occur, which will most likely lead to premature failure and an expensive repair bill.
There's a reason they put sealed boots over these components!

Spoony

I recently did this on my Canter. Certainly way more effort than getting to a CV (ie shaft out) in a IFS fourby I'm use to working.
You do have to pull off the entire hub assembly to get to it, which sucks a bit. Given this effort I'd factor replacing anything that's a little bit sus while it's apart. As I plan to start spending a few years on the road around Oz later this year, I did wheel bearings, stub axel/steering bearings, axel seals, wheel cyls, shoes, drums, brake lines, etc etc for both sides. It was done over 3 days on stands in the front yard (I was luckily on holiday's and had normal car for parts runs). If you just do the boot it will make things easier and certainly faster, I just wanted piece of mind as it's an FG434 (ie old, 1990).

With regards to crap getting in the boot, I didn't go dirt either while mine was torn. Interestingly it had Sika on it, so someone had patched it up before. You could do this if you get it clean enough and it's not that bad as they don't rotate like an IFS setup, so it only has to handle turning. Sika 252 is tough as and would work as a stop gap for a while. On the canters at least the CV housing ball at the end also has a double lipped seal that runs on it. It reminded me of how Landcruisers etc work with their setup. They have something like this as the only seal (no boot). I'm sure the Cruiser/Patrolseal is more robust and designed to cop all external elements, but still the seal on the Canter (assuming Isuzu is the same) means having a torn boot doesn't immediately expose the CV like in an IFS vehicle.

It has made me thing, the effort to do all the work was substantial and I'd be pretty pissed tearing another boot. I'm considering trying to make up a guard to deflect sticks etc. Of the axel would always leave exposed gaps due to turning, but maybe off the steering cross rod would be the go?

asep

Just had both mine done on my 2006 nps300. Got my truck workshop to do it as its not much fun to do.
They advised before they started would take around 6 hours each side. Plus the pins, bushes, seals and bearings would best be done at the same time so more expense. Parts are fairly expensive. $400 odd for the king pin upper and lower bearings, $125 for the two boots $200 for oil knuckle seal etc, mine was around $1000 in parts and about $1200 labour

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Most FG649 i have looked at have them from factory ???
Ours does and they look a bit like Gaits but are black.

gait

Explorer
Most FG649 i have looked at have them from factory ???
Ours does and they look a bit like Gaits but are black.

I think its an Aus thing. When I bought my vehicle second hand they'd been welded a couple of times. Recent trip to north west WA one "fell off". Mitsubishi replacements about $80 each. Steel about $5. Paint from my garage shelf.

kerry

Expedition Leader
If split boots are not available, couldn’t a person buy two boots cut them lengthwise and install the second one on top of the first one and glueing it to the bottom one to seal the two together?

Spoony

Interesting Idea re splitting and welding (or 252 Sika may work) . After the mission I had would certainly try if they got damaged again.

Also I like the guard ideas, didn't realise n6 series had a factory option. Gait, your orange ones steel or ally?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94