Front Axle/IFS leakage, any advice?

erod

Adventurer
Hey all, I was just changing my oil and came across a small leak from one of my IFS seals (I think). I had a seal replaced up there a year or two ago after some hard wheeling and it was covered under warranty, but I think those days are over. Anyone seen this before, any suggestions as what to do? I really haven't noticed any excess gear oil on the ground but, as you can clearly see, it appears to be leaking. Is this a common problem...Let me know if you have any advice, just looking at it seems like it would be a PITA to fix myself BUT pricey to have the shop take care if it. Any input? Thanks in advance...

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I haven't worked on that new of truck. Typically on that typed of set up you will need to take the retainer of the axle stub loose where it joins the hub. On yours its probably a nut in the center of the hub that will be exposed with the wheel off and possibly a dust cover. Drop the lower ball joint swing the hub assembly out and off the the CV stub. Then you should be able to take a pry bar up where the leak is and pry the inner CV lose and slip it out of the tube. That will expose the seal thats leaking. Just need to pry it out and drive a new one it. Probably a $5-7 part if you can buy it at a chain parts store. If it can't be found at the chains then probably $17-20 at the dealer.

When you reinstall the CV be very careful not to drag the splines of the stub on the seal....You really need to take a peak at the shop manual. Its possible there is a bushing under that seal that might be replaceable that supports the CV.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Unfortunately, I can't go into it right now, but this evening I can email you some information that will help out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94