From Freightliner ambulance to RV - we hope!

scooter421

Adventurer
Stuff is arriving, so we can make some more progress in the next few pre-summer weeks.

Yesterday, we got the exterior LED flood lights and trim rings to angle the lights downward. These will go in those small baking pans we installed in the former ambo light openings. 4 on each side, and two in the rear. The trim rings are Rigid brand and the lights are a more-affordable ($19/pair) Nilight 18W flood. The angled trim rings cost $33.52 a pair!

View attachment 443665
Hi Ross, did I miss something? You said former ambo?

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

patoz

Expedition Leader
Hi Ross,

Good to see you back on here and working on your rig! I'm looking forward to seeing how your side work lights turn out. I had narrowed down my options to the same thing, but without the cake pan buckets. I just wasn't sure the Non-Rigid lights would fit the Rigid angle adapters.

However, I no longer have that dilemma. I finally came across a once in a lifetime deal on a set of six Whelen 900 Series High Intensity 90° Gradient Opti-Scene lights.

61XYorwfH+L._SX355_.jpg

Did I mention these things are insanely bright? I may have to put them on dimmers. Here is a short video review on them to give you a little bit more info.

Last edited:

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Those look great. I'd put them on the front if I could find em. Do you guys know of any issue wiring up the ambers to run as flood lights till I find some of these?

scooter421

Adventurer
The lights look like a great upgrade. I'll have to look into those. If they'll cover my existing light holes it would be easier than making something work.

Scooter...

patoz

Expedition Leader
Those look great. I'd put them on the front if I could find em. Do you guys know of any issue wiring up the ambers to run as flood lights till I find some of these?

It depends on which amber LEDs you have. Some are designed for constant duty use (the dumb ones) and are called ballasted lights I believe, and some are designed for intermittent use (the smart ones) that can be programmed with different flash patterns. I have seen warnings on some of the smart lights, stating they are not to be used in a constant duty situation as damage may occur to the unit. I imagine this would be due to heat buildup. The white scene lights I just got (see above) have massive aluminum heat sinks built into the bases with vents that are angled upward to dissipate the heat.

patoz

Expedition Leader
The lights look like a great upgrade. I'll have to look into those. If they'll cover my existing light holes it would be easier than making something work.

Scooter...

Scooter, they are surface mount but will cover the hole just fine. That's exactly what I'm doing, because my old ones were halogen with recessed reflectors.

One thing I didn't mention is the cost of these units. The MSRP on them is around $520.00 each, but most people sell them for $354.90, including Amazon. It took me four years of looking, but I finally came across a deal on a used set of them. The guy listed them, and I responded to the ad probably before he got his hands off of the keyboard. I knew exactly what they were and bought them immediately. These are extremely hard to find used, and if there are any they are snapped up very quickly.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
So, more stuff is arriving. We got our Eccotemp L7 water heater (going in the shower), the smaller of our two water tanks, tank warming pads, the SeaFlo pump, and the MaxxFan. The small water tank shown here is a 16 gallon, which we'll use as a reserve. The larger 45 gallon tank should arrive today. They will ride between the frame rails, nested together and insulated - these tanks will feed the shower and the exterior kitchen water. We also have a 10-gallon tank inside, which feeds the sink.

IMG_0904.JPG

Here are the warming pads, which will stick to the bottom of the tanks between the tank and the insulation. I don't know if we'll ever use these, but they'll be there in case we need to turn them on and prevent freezing.

IMG_0905.JPG

And, on the way, we have an AirHead toilet coming. I was going to build a bench into the shower, and essentially DIY-build a "composting" toilet into it. I like making things. But, sometimes, the reality of time constraints and too many projects hits me upside the head... hence, the toilet order. So, does anyone have a need for an unused urine separating insert? Free.

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Reference the above... I was serious. If anyone wants that urine separating insert, to make a roll-your-own sawdust toilet, it's up for grabs.

And... more progress. Progress, that is, if you count getting parts to be progress. In my case, I certainly do because some of these take other projects off my list. Case in point, this Rainey's Truck Parts aluminum grill - I was going to make a grill out of some perforated steel I had, to replace the cracked plastic Freightliner grill. But, it's time to GSD and forge ahead, so I bought this and will paint it black.

IMG_0915.JPG And, also arriving today, the Webasto diesel air heater and a couple of bits for the shower. These include a covered TP holder, as the toilet will be in the shower stall, and a stainless steel sanitary napkin can - the latter is for TP used by the ladies after urination, as I understand that should not go in the composting toilet. The little can is covered and has a sturdy bag holder inside of it.

IMG_0916.JPG

And, the Eccotemp L5 will go in the exterior kitchen area. We could have used the L7 for both, but I like having a backup and I was also curious to see how they compare.

scooter421

Adventurer

Scooter...

Scooter, they are surface mount but will cover the hole just fine. That's exactly what I'm doing, because my old ones were halogen with recessed reflectors.

One thing I didn't mention is the cost of these units. The MSRP on them is around $520.00 each, but most people sell them for $354.90, including Amazon. It took me four years of looking, but I finally came across a deal on a used set of them. The guy listed them, and I responded to the ad probably before he got his hands off of the keyboard. I knew exactly what they were and bought them immediately. These are extremely hard to find used, and if there are any they are snapped up very quickly.
Wow....that is a bit pricey. Any idea how much power they consume?

Scooter...

patoz

Expedition Leader
Wow....that is a bit pricey. Any idea how much power they consume?

Scooter...

SCENELIGHT
Whelen 900 Series Super-LED® model # 9SC0ENZR shall be provided. The steady burn scene light shall incorporate twenty four clear Super-LEDs, a clear gradient optic hard coated polycarbonate lens, and utilize a metal reflector for maximum output. The hard coated lens shall provide extended life/luster protection against UV and chemical stresses. The conformal coated PC board and sealed lens/reflector assembly shall provide additional protection against environmental elements. The solid state scene light shall be vibration resistant. The high intensity scene light shall have 6500 usable lumens. The 9SC0ENZR is certified to meet KKK 1822F requirements and AMD 024 standards. An installation kit including mounting chrome flange with rubber gasket and hardware shall be provided for surface mounting. The 9SC0ENZR will contain a 12” non-terminated pigtail. The scene light is covered by a five year factory warranty.

Voltage: +12v
Size: H=7.15”, W=9.15”, D=1.56”
Amp Draw: 6.0 Amps at 70°C / 3.6
Amps at 100°C
Lens Color: Clear

Coachgeo

Explorer
Reference the above... I was serious. If anyone wants that urine separating insert, to make a roll-your-own sawdust toilet, it's up for grabs......
hmmm.... is this offer equivilant to offering up some "grab asz" lol. Ok.... bad attempt at humor... guess I'll just stick with "yup' I'd be interested in the separating insert". PM me the details on how much $$ etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles