From company cargo van to family camper

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Leaving in about 9 hours for the weekend and everything seems to have come together (knock on wood). Pic of the 2 year old in the hammock, which has a clone that sits over the front seats for the 4 year old:

I was up til midnight sewing curtains and I still have to pack up after a half day of work, then off to the dunes!

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
I was up til midnight sewing curtains and I still have to pack up after a half day of work said:
Nice build so far. I made curtains for my last van, but couldn't quite get past telling my friends that, so instead, I made "window shades". Sounds more manly. :Wow1:

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Awesome weekend. Windy as hell and dropped below freezing at City of Rocks, but we all fit and slept well in the van. Happy family all around. Some pics:

Exterior shot, that Samsonite bag is already heading back to Costco, didn't make it one trip without failure:

Hanging out with the 2 year old while mom and the 4 year old were at the observatory, Luminoodle XL and Camp Chef fire pit were both big hits:

Crappy pic of the front hammock with the 4 year old conked out in it. Shot this from the bed in the back, nice lazy Sunday morning.

More trip pics and random stuff on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hyperboarder/

Navi

Adventurer
How easy is it getting in/out using the van side doors with the ARB Awning Room? Any complaints about the room itself?
I'm thinking that would make a great changing room and a place for a porta potty.
I'm also seriously considering doing a front hammock like that for my 6yr old.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
How easy is it getting in/out using the van side doors with the ARB Awning Room? Any complaints about the room itself?
I'm thinking that would make a great changing room and a place for a porta potty.
I'm also seriously considering doing a front hammock like that for my 6yr old.

Notice that the awning is on the drivers side? That's intentional, I tried making the room work with the barn doors on the passenger side but the "door" on the ARB room isn't big enough to play nice with the doors on the van. I need to spend more time with the setup in a more controlled environment (might try this weekend) but it was a no go last time. The room itself is a nice piece, if I had a slider it would work great. Works fine on the driver side as well, just no interior access.

I highly recommend the hammocks, the girls loved them and they contained them well. I will be doing small improvements but the concept as a whole is sound.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
I think I'm going to add a small shelf running down both sides near the ceiling in the back. We were a little short on easily accessible storage on this trip. Probably pockets in the rear doors too.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Since you guys have had some good ideas, figured I'd pose this question; with the current setup the main gripe is I have to remove the fridge and kitchen to have room to sleep. The back is a 71"x84" platform, 2x10 frame underneath (9-1/4" clearance under it for storage). 2nd row seat with carseats. We pretty much max the platform between the wife and I and the 2 dogs, both girls in hammocks. I can't for the life of me figure out where else I could put them aside from maybe on the 2nd row with the car seats pulled out. Am I missing anything?

wjeeper

How do the kiddos like the hammocks? I think those are a great idea! The wife and I are planning on kids in the future and it looks like a great solution for our van.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
How do the kiddos like the hammocks? I think those are a great idea! The wife and I are planning on kids in the future and it looks like a great solution for our van.

They dig em.

Fabric has stretched a bit after 4 uses, but I just need to adjust the rope a bit higher to accommodate. I made them easy to tear down, but I think it's overkill, easier to leave them assembled, saves 10+ minutes of setup and teardown.

EDIT - That pic shows my curtain making skills!

hyperboarder

Adventurer
They've worked better than I expected, happy kids and a nice comfy sleeping space for everyone. Using them again twice this month for trips to Eastern and Northern Idaho. Some quick bullet points:
-I used tubular webbing from REI for the attachment points in the van, 4x each front and rear around supports. 3' sections (~$1 each) with a water knot have worked great and are tucked back behind the wall panels when not in use.
-Rope is static line, also from REI. IIRC these are 10' sections (~$3 each), figure 8 follow through knots on each end to attach the carabiners.
-Carabiners are pretty cheap Walmart items with 150 lb limits. 600 lbs total per hammock is a safety factor of like 8-10, so I'm not worried.
-Canvas is cut from a drop cloth I got on Amazon (link), it easily did 2 hammocks, even after shrinking during a wash cycle.
-I used leftover canvas to make hanging pockets on each hammock which have been very useful to store stuff sacks, shoes, water bottles, etc.
-Upholstery thread and denim needles got the sewing done. I broke 2 needles, both my fault. Easy peasy once I got the hang of it.

All in I think I'm at about $60/each, you could definitely do it for less. I went overkill on the hardware, most of which isn't necessary. PVC Tees are the expensive bits, $3 and change each. Everything else is small potatoes.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Since you guys have had some good ideas, figured I'd pose this question; with the current setup the main gripe is I have to remove the fridge and kitchen to have room to sleep. The back is a 71"x84" platform, 2x10 frame underneath (9-1/4" clearance under it for storage). 2nd row seat with carseats. We pretty much max the platform between the wife and I and the 2 dogs, both girls in hammocks. I can't for the life of me figure out where else I could put them aside from maybe on the 2nd row with the car seats pulled out. Am I missing anything?

Could you make a sketch of your layout and van interior dimensions? I am having a hard time visualizing your layout and sizing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior