From 1-10, how bad is this going to be?

Double_Eh

Have you thought about building one? What stuff do you need?

Yes, a DIY tray for the flatbed is a consideration. I missed out on a 6’ flippac locally when I started this search. My thought on that one was to build a small tray for the flatbed that the flippac could mount to. I still think that would be a decent option with any of the truck bed/topper variants (Vagabond, GFC, AT Habitat, flippac, etc). I think it’s a matter of finding the right dimensions so that it doesn’t look or fit super awkwardly. Also, finding any of those at a reasonable price is challenging right now.

I‘d like space for 3 to sleep comfortably- one of whom is still pretty small. Space to hang out when our afternoon thunderstorms roll through, any other cold/wet weather, or just a place to play cards and read on cold evenings. Room to stand up. And relative convenience in set-up/take-down.

Both All Terrain Campers and OVRLND sound like they can build a pop-up shell to the dimensions of my flatbed. ATC is $14.5k for the base shell, 6 months to delivery, and 600 pounds. The weight and price are both a little concerning to me considering it’s just the starting point. However, OVRLND can do a fully custom shell around 300 pounds and $8-9k. Sounds like he has a similar project for a 2nd gen starting this fall. The only catch is the 10-12 month lead time, but that could be ok.

Still considering trailer options too. However, I recently had to back up a rough patch of FS road to accommodate oncoming traffic while exploring our local backyard. That could have gotten real interesting had I been towing even a very small trailer. It was on the way to/from a couple of our favorite local dispersed campsites.

Last edited:

WOODY2

Adventurer
I’ve been posting around here a little bit lately, trying to find a camping solution for my wife, myself, our baby. We have a 1st gen, double cab Tacoma TRD. The tiny 5’ bed was replaced with a flatbed by the previous owner. I recently came across a 1979 FWC Hawk. How bad of an idea can it be to put these two things together?

View attachment 599729

The flatbed dimensions are 72” long by 67” wide, and it sits 32” below the top of the cab. I believe the base of the hawk is 64” by 76”. I don’t know any other dimensions yet.

Concerns I have are primarily the weight of the camper and the fact that weight could sit relatively high and behind the rear axle. I do have relatively stiff Dakar leafs in back and the flatbed is noticeably lighter than the stock bed.

The camper seems plenty affordable, looks to be in good shape considering it’s 41, and I kinda like the idea of restoring it. I’m a little excited. Somebody save me from a bad decision, or better yet, give me a push!
Much as it pains me it will be an 11. The weight is certainly a factor but how high and where in respect to the initial center of gravity is the deal killer here. It would be the tail wagging the dog so to speak.

rruff

Explorer
I‘d like space for 3 to sleep comfortably- one of whom is still pretty small. Space to hang out when our afternoon thunderstorms roll through, any other cold/wet weather, or just a place to play cards and read on cold evenings. Room to stand up. And relative convenience in set-up/take-down.

What I was thinking is that you could just build the camper. A good shell isn't hard to make, and can be done a variety of ways. The last one I built going from inside to out was laun, XPS foam, laun, hand laid fiberglass, gelcoat. It was very solid, light, and cheap. I'm doing it different now with just foam and fiberglass. I saw one guy who made a camper out of 1/4" ply joined together that looked like an inverted boat with curved surfaces. It isn't that tricky to do if you keep it simple. If you make it with all the "comforts of home" then it gets complicated. Pop tops are kind of a hassle as well.

I'd question the need to "stand up" in a small camper. There isn't far to move from one end to another, and you can do everything from a seated position. You definitely want it tall enough to sit up straight for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne