Frirstone Air Bags + 1000 Pound Camper = Broken Tundra Frame

HNewman

This question is going out to everyone who has hauled a truck bed camper on a Toyota truck.

Today our local leaf spring shop in Anchorage Alaska told me that Firestone Air Bags and a 1000 pound hard side camper would put me at a big risk of cracking the frame on my 2006 Tundra... The logic made sense because the pressure is isolated when the bag carries the load. However I have had great experience with air bags and read many good things here.

So the questions go out to all my fellow Toyota owners...

Have you ever herd of this happening?

Would you buy $1300 of custom leaf springs or $350 worth of Firestone Airbags?

Are you comfortable hauling a 1000 pound camper around on your truck all the time?

Thank You!

(none)

Adventurer
Neither custom leaf springs or air bags increase your weight carrying capacity.

If the frame is going to bend or crack, chances are it is going to do so near where the cab and bed meet, no matter what suspension you run. That is where they seem to flex at, between the two axles.

Are you running the camper 90-100% of the time? Different leaf springs will be nice. Are you on stock springs now? the airbags are nice because you can increase the pressure while you have the camper on the back, then drop the pressure when you are empty to keep the nice ride. If you put a big enough leaf pack back there for the camper, it will be a rough ride when you take the camper off.

HNewman

Yes and no. Air bags can create a stress point that wasn't designed into the frame. It can really be an issue towing. Drive your truck like it has a 1000lbs camper (slower) and you'll probably be fine.

Here's a good article.

Now this is exactly the type of balanced in depth information I was looking for! @tacollie that was extremely helpful. Lots of factors to consider. Also funny its an Aussie article considering the truck I am referring to has got some of that flavor.
q99MsyR.jpg

@sourdoughben I actually looked at your old posts on the subject and have considered the same configuration. With proper suspension were you happy with your truck/camper combo? I haven't decided if this camper is a keeper or if I want to continue building custom in the spring. Just hoping to do some winter ski camping with this big guy. If you could tell me how you choose to mount yours that would be helpful as well?

@(none) those were my exact same first thoughts! I have done springs and airbags on previous builds. Don't mind the harsh ride, also don't mind just leaving the camper on all the time.

For a little more context the factory payload is around 1400 and mine is slightly more with the lighter aluminum bed (theoretically). The camper is stamped 1000 but I am converting it to dry for 4 season use so no big water tank. Next the old junk fridge is going as well. So the camper is also going on a diet. My goal would be to come in under factory payload fully loaded and were not taking any serious off road adventures. If I still lived in Utah I would build a completely different truck. Alaska doesn't have as many trails, its all about being able to adventure through the long winters for me. My driving is currently 85% paved roads or more.

Thanks everyone!

sourdoughben

As much as I loved my Tundra, the FWC was too much. Sold them both and purchased a Tiger RV. Recently sold that also. After 5 yrs. and 70K, I decided it had too many bells and whistles that I seldom used.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yes this is a thing. Its due to where the load gets placed on the frame. Truck frames are designed to carry the load at the spring hangars which is also split 50/50 between two points on the frame. Air bags place the load in one spot right between the hangers and yes can break the frame especially when treated like a replacement to support all the load weight.

rruff

Explorer
Today our local leaf spring shop in Anchorage Alaska told me that Firestone Air Bags and a 1000 pound hard side camper would put me at a big risk of cracking the frame on my 2006 Tundra... The logic made sense because the pressure is isolated when the bag carries the load. However I have had great experience with air bags and read many good things here.

The airbags mount at the bumpstop, which is not a weak point in the frame. Just use a little sense. Don't have them pumped up to 100 psi. With modest pressure they just spread the load out.

If the camper is on all the time I'd beef up the springs. Add a leaf to start.

HNewman

Yes most of these thoughts have crossed my mind. I have herd many good reviews of airbags and had to search to find a some examples of frame damage as a result.

Am I the only one who thinks $1300 for springs on a 1/2 Ton truck is a bit high? My full size van cost half that upgraded and installed.

Yes I like the idea of an add a leaf as well, or rather a Hellwig helper spring. @rruff I am personally considering the Hellwig EZ-990 as a quick solution that may be enough support. Which also happens to to be the least expensive place to start for hauling this camper. It would allow for a little fine tuning as well, however a traditional AAL has less points of potential failure.

Anyone out there a 1st gen tundra owner who wants to share some of your experience hauling a camper? Weight/Suspension/Mounting Points?

smokeysevin

Observer
I have been running Airlift Dominator Airbags with Daystar Cradles on my truck in conjunction with my Deaver g57 leaf spring for the last few years with no issues.

I treat the truck the same as without and respect the max capacity of the truck both in payload and tongue weight though and my truck is not indicative of some of these massively overloaded rigs here.

Sean

HNewman

@smokeysevin Thanks for the info. I believe at this point I have convinced myself that I do not want to run bags without a spring upgrade in conjunction. At least for the purpose of heavy load hauling.

For the time time being I am installing the Hellwig 990 spring kit. The 1000 pound hard side camper will not be going on the Tundra this winter. Hopefully the custom camper build will kick off sooner and be a better fit for use during Alaskan winter. I will report back on how this setup preforms when it all comes together.

rruff

Explorer
I'd do leaf addition if I was getting bags as well. I like the bags for easy ability to adjust. You can adjust something like the Hellwigs also, but not as easily. I'm thinking of extreme sections where cranking up the pressure on the bags can provide extra clearance, leveling at a campsite, or if it's going to be windy at camp, providing extra stability. I've not actually tried it though... so maybe in practice it wouldn't be worth it.

smokeysevin

Observer
I'd do leaf addition if I was getting bags as well. I like the bags for easy ability to adjust. You can adjust something like the Hellwigs also, but not as easily. I'm thinking of extreme sections where cranking up the pressure on the bags can provide extra clearance, leveling at a campsite, or if it's going to be windy at camp, providing extra stability. I've not actually tried it though... so maybe in practice it wouldn't be worth it.

Specifically, that is why I went with my setup. I get the super soft ride of the deavers when unloaded but I can still haul mulch or my standup when I need to. Most bags also limit droop which is why I am using the daystar cradles. They work great for my setup but it is not a replacement for stiffer springs or a higher GRVW vehicle...

Sean

HNewman

@rruff airbags are great but I didn't mess with them much on my last rig. 25psi provided a great ride loaded or unloaded. I suppose you could get creative with adjusting for things like that if you had on board air connected. I ran mine with a T fitting joining the lines for better flex off-road. This setup was on a lifted and frequently overloaded Xterra and it preformed great. However the forces at play are much smaller at that scale and that style of airbag does not bolt to the side of the frame. I seems like airbags are putting much more stress on the frame on any vehicle with springs mounted outside the frame rails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles