fridge troubleshoot: Whynter fm-45

old300

So I spent about ~$40 in equipment and recharged the fridge myself. Happy to say It's now functioning properly. I'm not sure how long the refrigerant will last. If it will stay operational for an entire season I'll call it a win. I used refrigerant with dye so if the leak is anywhere that I can access (unlikely) I might be able to fix that as well.
interested in details and or photos on how you did this. i am having the same problem and you might have the answer.

North

Observer
It's pretty simple. You will need a gauge that reads in 1psi graduations or less, a can of refrigerant, a piercing valve, and possibly an adaptor to attach the hose/gauge to the refrigerant can:

1. Remove the faceplate on the controller to get access to screws that hold it in place.
2. Remove controller and two screws on the bottom of the fridge to get the access panel off.
3. Locate the low pressure side/return line to the compressor.
4. Attach piercing valve to the low pressure/return line. Make sure you install in an orientation that gives you access to attach hose to valve and open/close valve.
5. Attach gauge/hose to piercing valve and purge system of air.
6. Open piercing valve. If the gauge reads less than 2psi you need to add refrigerant.
7. Add refrigerant by turning on the fridge so the compressor kicks on, then open the valve on the can to add refrigerant.
8. Add refrigerant in pulses so that you do not overfill the system.
9. When gauge reads around 2psi close piercing valve, detach hose, and put everything back together.

I watched YouTube videos on how to add refrigerant to large kitchen fridges. It's the same process, just less space.

old300

It's pretty simple. You will need a gauge that reads in 1psi graduations or less, a can of refrigerant, a piercing valve, and possibly an adaptor to attach the hose/gauge to the refrigerant can:

1. Remove the faceplate on the controller to get access to screws that hold it in place.
2. Remove controller and two screws on the bottom of the fridge to get the access panel off.
3. Locate the low pressure side/return line to the compressor.
4. Attach piercing valve to the low pressure/return line. Make sure you install in an orientation that gives you access to attach hose to valve and open/close valve.
5. Attach gauge/hose to piercing valve and purge system of air.
6. Open piercing valve. If the gauge reads less than 2psi you need to add refrigerant.
7. Add refrigerant by turning on the fridge so the compressor kicks on, then open the valve on the can to add refrigerant.
8. Add refrigerant in pulses so that you do not overfill the system.
9. When gauge reads around 2psi close piercing valve, detach hose, and put everything back together.

I watched YouTube videos on how to add refrigerant to large kitchen fridges. It's the same process, just less space.
awesome thank you! im going to give it a try tomorrow.

kumatae

Reviving a very old thread because it has helped me fix my Whynter fm-45g. I live right by Brea, CA where Whynter is located and they wanted $80 to troubleshoot my non operating fridge. I can only imagine the heartache that people get to pay for shipping both ways. I only used it for a month straight on a trip and it’s been stored and it just wouldn’t cool. The fan was running but wasn’t cooling. Whynter was responsive for help but not helpful at all. My best guess is that they wanted me to pay for a new condenser for $300. So bottom line, don’t buy a Whynter!!
Anyhow, if your fridge is not cooling, try this. First watch this YouTube video and purchase necessary equipment. I think in total I spent about less than $40.

Look at my photo below and will show you where to install the piercing valve. I had hard time figuring which line but after a while I noticed one was cooler than the other. Be very patient, I went real slow with adding the refrigerant and eventually got to 2psi. Now I can sell this junk and buy a dometic from REI or anything from Costco.

e7574184330d02ff07ce1a6faff3940c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior