Fridge size

I posted this in the Toyota group, but looking for feedback from those with Wranglers also......

Those running a fridge, what size is the best fit? Currently have a Dometic CFX3 100 in the Sequoia but we’ll be getting a 4Runner here soon. So selling off the Dometic 100 to get a smaller fridge. Looking at the Dometic 55 or should I consider something a little smaller? Ideally a size I can swap between the Wrangler and a 4Runner. Pics of your setup with fridge size is appreciated.

SBSYNCRO

I mentioned this in another thread, but the Dometic CFX50 is a perfect fit in the back of a Wrangler 4 door with the DFG slide and FrontRunner boxes (I have the rear seats removed and put in a plywood deck). PLenty of room for beer and groceries for two for 4 to 5 days and we eat a lot. The beauty of the fridge (as you probably know) is that you can carry warm beer and then just put a few in each day as you need them.

IMG_3569.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I believe the place to start with this question is to figure out how much cooling space you need for the expeditions you plan. For me, a 35-quart fridge is more than enough for two people for a 3-day weekend on the trail. By getting the smallest fridge that will suit your expected needs, you maximize the remaining cargo space in your always-too-small Jeep.

PowerPanel4_zpsouwcxta2.jpg

Not only do the the huge fridges allow less space for cargo, they don't permit as much space for the rest of the cooking experience; with my 35-qt. I can easily also fit a full Trail Kitchen with sink and stove, a drawer unit for kitchen and other supplies, plus enough cargo space for the two of us for a 3-day+ weekend.

WindGuard1_zps9gax3bf1.jpg

jadmt

ignore button user
The arb 37 and arb 50 have the same footprint the arb 50 is just 3” taller. We manage to fill it up, but me likes my beer and margaritas....

Robert Bills

Explorer
I am now focusing my fridge search on the 15-20 c.f. size range. A recent 4,000+ mile overlanding trip in Mexico has convinced me that a small /fridge/freezer in the rear and a day cooler behind the center console within reach of the driver's seat are all I need for cooler space.

Anyone have suggestions for those? I am having difficulty finding any in stock and at least one brand won't ship to California.

wildo

Not only do the the huge fridges allow less space for cargo, they don't permit as much space for the rest of the cooking experience; with my 35-qt. I can easily also fit a full Trail Kitchen with sink and stove, a drawer unit for kitchen and other supplies, plus enough cargo space for the two of us for a 3-day+ weekend.

WindGuard1_zps9gax3bf1.jpg

I had been thinking about getting this. Did you customize the burner stove and sink extension? Does it all store flat into the storage bin under the fridge?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I had been thinking about getting this. Did you customize the burner stove and sink extension? Does it all store flat into the storage bin under the fridge?

The sink is a preproduction sample, the company hasn't given me a date for it yet but they were showing it at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas last November (they borrowed my Jeep for the show and the sink was installed for the show). I expect the quarantine has slowed progress in getting it to market. The sink is collapsible and it fits in the drawer:

PackedInDrawer_zpsvbeslyyw.jpg

The stove is a prototype. It folds fairly flat and stores in a separate bag. It can run off a small propane cylinder as seen in the photo:

StovePlumbing_zpsumot6rak.jpg

Or it can run from a larger propane tank mounted on the tailgate hinges or on a roof rack.

PropaneJK3_zpshfd51sz3.jpg

BTW since this thread is about fridge size, I got an email just the other day from MORryde about larger fridges, they just released a larger fridge tray for the kitchen - The new tray is roughly 18" x 25" and fits larger fridges such as the Dometic 65 qt., they included a copy of the installation instructions in the email:

1595636778424.png

And they've released a new version of the kitchen which instead of a drawer under the fridge has a pull-out stove tray which is large enough for many two-burner stoves. This version of the kitchen is less expensive than the drawer version. I can't recall exactly but I think they told me it's about $100 less than the original Trail Kitchen. I took this photo in their lab just before the quarantine, there's no stove on the tray but you can get the idea.

TrailKitchenStove_zpsxudmxxdm.jpg

wildo

I had been talking to Austin over at Morryde. They are having a Covid special so if anyone is interested, can take advantage of it. :)

I'm waiting for their prototype sink to come out and see if that's the direction I want to go with. Nice to see photos of yours from a different angle than the ones shared from SEMA.

sorry if I had hijacked this thread. back to fridge size....

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I had been talking to Austin over at Morryde. They are having a Covid special so if anyone is interested, can take advantage of it. :)

I'm waiting for their prototype sink to come out and see if that's the direction I want to go with. Nic etc see photos of yours from a different angle than the ones shared from SEMA.

sorry if I had hijacked this thread. back to fridge size....
Happy to post more photos or answer any other questions people might have about the Trail Kitchen or any of its options.

Thanks for all the info and feedback. Sold the 100 and after looking over our plans (vehicles and 3+ days on the road) we went ahead with the 50.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles