Fridge size?

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
There are many good comments made above. I researched this for two years before making my decision. I only wanted to spend the money once. Cruiserpilot brings up a good point about just replenishing drinks. Toymaster brings up a good point about getting the largest one you can fit. And dlh62c made a good point about mocking up a box to see what fits. I did that as well but was still surprised about how tall it was. I bought an ARB 50 Qt. There was an article in Overland Journal that compared and rated the different models/manufacturers. I place it behind the front passenger seat either on the folded down rear seat back or on a gear deck I place over the 2nd row seats. That allows the fridge to sit lower so I do not have as much of a blind spot. I then strap it down by running a cargo strap under the seat. I love my ARB. I place it in the Tahoe when going camping or when picnicing during road trips. I leave it in until I need the seat space. Always great to have a cold water or soda in the summer. Good luck

Expedition Leader
Size depends on the amount of space in the vehicle and the number of people eating out of the fridge and for how long. But two people can eat for a week out my 37-qt. ARB easy enough.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
Why not look into the Dometic. It's built by Waeco, has a Danfoss compressor, was highly rated in the Overland Journal and is about $300 cheaper. I also think I read that the ARB is made by Waeco as well, but I could be wrong about that, it's been known to happen.

Chad

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I can't recommend a size for you, but I have noticed this about fridges: The bigger they are, the more space efficient they are. By this, every fridge will have dead space taken up by the compressor and associated equipment. Whether you get a 30qt or 80qt, they have about the same amount of dead space. So percentage wise, a smaller cooler has a smaller percentage of storage space versus footprint. I have a 43qt edgestar, but at one point I had a 60qt purchased but it got cancelled (unavailable) before it arrived. I was surprised to find the footprint of the 60qt wasn't drastically larger than the 43qt.

It still comes down to needs and space availability. The idea to use a cardboard template to judge space is a great idea (but include room for handles, plugs/cords, and access to open it). But I would say if you're on the fence, I would probably go with the bigger size. But limiting the number of drinks is probably the biggest space saver. Although drinks are probably the biggest reason for having a cooler!

I will also add this - I have recently relegated my fridge to being an office fridge most of the time. Since my family camping trips have tended to be one night trips, the hassle of a fridge (having to go inside the car to get cold stuff or bring an extra battery) wasn't worth it for short trips. So I now use a Coleman Extreme for overnight trips. But when life allows for multi-day trips again, I will use the fridge.

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
After speaking to Dave at Equipt today, I went ahead and purchased an Indel B 50Qt. Ships out on Monday. I will report.

John

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
I bought National Luna because everything I read was positive. I'm going to be using it for 20 yrs, so the initial cost is balanced out for me.
So far, worth every penny. Ironically, in South Africa they complain about the cost of NL, but they hands down agree its the best there is.
I can't imagine what they would do if they had to pay twice as much the way we do.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Once we added a freezer to the mix it changed everything. We went from a few days away to more than a week away without shopping. Just a thought.

Big mike

Adventurer
ARB 50qt for my jeep I decided on this because of size , it will take care of my everyday needs.
I don't know about you all but I hate stopping and buying 1.79 bottle water. First I don't want to stop second 2.99 at walgreens gets me 24 either Dazani or Aquafina depends what week it is. Next it will hold all I need for a week out on my own.
I have 82qt arb in AT chaser , I take it when wife and pups are along. More then enough .
I chose ARB because there well built and $ aren't to extreme and almost everyone I know this is there go to brand.
Plus Will at Sierra Expedition said that's what I " had to buy " lol.
He is the guru.
Although for right price , because I like the national Luna I just think there way over priced and hyped !
But for right price I would replace 50 arb for 50 weekender just for the 10qt freezer.
Mike

4x4junkie

Explorer
Yep, price is the only thing holding me back from the ARB 50 at the moment. I do not mind buying quality and paying for it, but want to make sure I am getting the best value.... well, that and Ann might have me sleeping in the ARB fridge when she learns how much they cost :coffeedrink:

4x4Junkie, love your bronco. At an earlier point in my life I bought a bronco 2 made some small mods and camped and wheeled the heck out of it. Great truck and underestimated in my opinion.

John

Thanks for the comments. Yeah I've really been happy with it, with both it's capability and practicality. If I had to do it over again, my biggest dilemma would likely be trying to decide between sticking with a BII, or maybe going to an early Explorer. Both are great durable trucks that I've never understood why they haven't been more popular.

Back on topic...
The Indel-B fridge seems like a good solid unit for sure (and a good value too), I doubt you'll be disappointed. Good luck.

expedition_dad

I feel you bro. Bought a 45qt pelican for my MK. But takes up a lot of room. Will be upgrading to an ARB when the funds come around.
f43178bf6ed6c25fdf5d9e1dc025f33e.jpg

84ad73078813f114ec60a5eedec5d6aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscusmcvet

Explorer
So for me Expo Dad it was not space, I was more about soggieness :) I won't know till it gets here but I think I may still need a cooler for my beer... ya know....

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Indel B from Equipt 1 Outfitters set to arrive on Wednesday. Glad I'll have a week or so to sort it out before our trip.

John

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
NL 95L.
It's huge, but when gone for 3 to 5 weeks it's awesome to not have to worry about ice and cold beer along with frozen food..

landsharkman

Adventurer
I have an ARB 50 Qt, love it. I leave mine in the truck all the time. Use it for shopping and stuff. If I need more cooling capacity I also have a couple of Engel ice chest I can bring if needed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier