Fridge Install- Single Battery in Jeep JKU

Danman4142

Hi All-

I've been doing some research on a simple fridge install for my 2015 JK. I just ordered a Whytner 34 fridge and am looking to initially do the installation utilizing a single Optima H6 that will be charged from my alternator and act as the starting battery. Most of my trips involve lots of driving, and I rarely park for more than 24 hours at a time. Based on what I see, the Optima should have the capacity to manage what I need most of the time. I'm also looking at adding a solar charge controller and a 100watt panel to supplement power for times when I park in one place and stay put.

Additionally, it seems like the Optima yellowtops are not as finicky about charging voltage as the Odyssey AGM batteries are. I THINK I should be ok relying on my alternator to do most of the charging on the Optima, where with the Odyssey, I'd need to be more reliant on solar or AC charging in order to optimize the life of that battery. Is that an accurate assesment? I realize that some folks have had QC concerns with Optima, but I'm thinking for my use it might be the best fit. Any other batteries I should be looking at?

Thoughts? Am I overlooking anything major here? just want to be sure before I buy a battery and move forward.
Thanks!

-Daniel

broncobowsher

Adventurer
While driving, not a problem
100W solar while parked will be fine.
Overnight on the battery, this can be fuzzy. If you want to keep stuff frozen when it is too hot to sleep, it's not going to cut it. If you just want refrigerated were it is comfortable or cooler to sleep, might be OK. I don't know the draw of those fridges.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have been using an ARB50 for the last 3 years or so in my jkur and never had an issue with my stock battery and I have parked for up to 3 days and never had an issue starting. last year I was getting ready to do a remote trip so I figured I would replace the oem battery with an agm and bought a battery plus battery and it has been stellar. I would have no issues living my rig for 4 days with the fridge running...

Attachments

• 0F44AE5E-BCAC-4000-A47C-0C310FCD26EE.jpeg
    0F44AE5E-BCAC-4000-A47C-0C310FCD26EE.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 30
Hi All-

I've been doing some research on a simple fridge install for my 2015 JK. I just ordered a Whytner 34 fridge and am looking to initially do the installation utilizing a single Optima H6 that will be charged from my alternator and act as the starting battery. Most of my trips involve lots of driving, and I rarely park for more than 24 hours at a time. Based on what I see, the Optima should have the capacity to manage what I need most of the time. I'm also looking at adding a solar charge controller and a 100watt panel to supplement power for times when I park in one place and stay put.

Additionally, it seems like the Optima yellowtops are not as finicky about charging voltage as the Odyssey AGM batteries are. I THINK I should be ok relying on my alternator to do most of the charging on the Optima, where with the Odyssey, I'd need to be more reliant on solar or AC charging in order to optimize the life of that battery. Is that an accurate assesment? I realize that some folks have had QC concerns with Optima, but I'm thinking for my use it might be the best fit. Any other batteries I should be looking at?

Thoughts? Am I overlooking anything major here? just want to be sure before I buy a battery and move forward.
Thanks!

-Daniel

I have a JKU an H6 and a 31 quart fridge. I bought Optima’s 4 amp charger to top off when there is shore power. I keep a small booster pack with me just in case but haven’t needed it. A lot probably depends on the average temp outside and how often you’re in the fridge. Based on what you’ve described I would guess you will be fine.

As far as charging from the alternator I’m interested to hear what others say. When I plug in my charger it always thinks the battery is a little low. Does this with my trailer’s marine battery too. Even after it has been charged with my Battery Tender maintainer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danman4142

Thanks for the comments, glad to hear others having success with similar setups. I'll probably pick up the Optima H6 this week and report back after some overnight testing at home once I get everything installed.

Mgyver1

Observer
Thanks for the comments, glad to hear others having success with similar setups. I'll probably pick up the Optima H6 this week and report back after some overnight testing at home once I get everything installed.
I run a Batteries Plus X2 in a group 31 size and have been parked for 3 days with no solar in Sedona and was fine. I do have an Antigravity XP-10 just in case my battery dies, but so far I’ve never had to use it for my own rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier