fridge in a toolbox?

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
with the purchase of the new tundra and the selling of the van...I would LOVE to keep my edgestar fridge/freezer with me all the time (as acustomed to in the van..cold pop all the time is nice!)..

but theres no room in the doublecab if I want to take all 3 kids (cant really just leave one at home can I?)

has anybody thought about putting one inside a truck-toolbox?

I would make sure it had vent holes..and would be rain-proof...but the toolbox would be exposed to the sun...so maybe a insulating cover over it?

anybody thought about it?

it couldnt be any worse than having it inside a hot car with the windows rolled up...or on a trailer in a storage cabinet...someone tell me if im completely nuts..(I am..I just need people to remind me)..

RHINO

Expedition Leader
it would be great,, and good security also. as for insulating cover i would just put sheet foam inside the box, i would just glue a strip to the underside of the lid and maybe one on the side that faces out, but i wouldn't put anything on the outside.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I would run a transit bag (insulated bag) in the fridge itself instead of doing anything to the tool box.

I like the idea, alot actually. You could also relocate a second battery there and then put solar on top for a really killer setup :)

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I like the idea, alot actually. You could also relocate a second battery there and then put solar on top for a really killer setup :)

Ding Ding Ding, we got a winner.
although i am not sure I would do a transit bag in the interior of the fridge. it would not be that hard to make a cover to go over the fridge except for where the fan/motor area are. also an option might be to find some 1 1/2 to 2 inch ridged foam to line the aluminum tool box. I would consider plenty of vents on the lower portion of the tool box to help keep un wanted heat out of the toolbox. Aluminum in general works great for heat displacement and I have never gotten into an aluminum tool box that was hotter than the interior of the cab with the windows up. I really like the idea of the solar panel to help charge the secondary battery of the fridge though.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
My only concern about insulating the tool box vs the fridge directly would be the heat trapped inside the tool box as generated by the fridge.
If you setup a vent to the outside of the tool box from the vent area of the fridge then you might be ok.
I am not a thermo engineer or anything, I usually make things up as I go :)

It would be interesting to look as some measurement numbers as to how much room there is inside the toolbox. I guess that would tell you if it is better to have that space for storage or it the amount is small enough to just fill with insulation (rigid foam)

No matter what if this gets built I really want to see pics and I dig the idea.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
sweet...

I would cut the vents in the box to corrispond to the area of the fridge with the vents..

Im REALLY diggin the idea of the battery and the solar panel...mebe I can pattent and sell them!!

I'll get pics...I plan on using a plastic tote box that Ive had for years...(old truck toolbox)...so it shouldnt cost me much to make it..just some insulation..and mebe a solar panel..

tote
http://www.lowes.com/pd_91573-230-L...p_product_price|0&storeId=10151&storeId=10151

020027003402lg.jpg

chasespeed

Explorer
Actually, the fridge in the tool box is okay... IF....

Okay, If these fridges actually have compressors, you CANT seal them in that compartment. They work by removing BTUs from inside the container(the fridge), and placing the BTUs outside. Which, in this case, would be in another container. I dont know how long it would take before you add enough heat to that toolbox, before it stops cooling....

IF you were to add a vent down low, and double the vent up high, and at the other end of the box, I would say you should be good to go. IF you add a battery, I would also look at a thermal switch, with a small fan on one of the vents., to push the air out....

In my case, I am probably over engineering it..... but, this is my trade.

Chase

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
well...I ran into a snag...

my fridge is too big to fit inside...

crap...

anybody know how durable the insulation bags are??:coffeedrink:

I had planned on a ton of ventalation thru-out the box..upper and lower..and possible 12vt cooling fan just for extra..

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Not sure I would want to use Black plastic at all. it has almost no heat dissipation ability. Having dealt with high current 12v amplifiers which get hot enough to fry an egg on a cool day, The entire plan posses a few problems, mostly with heat dissipation. Looking at this from Chase and Lances POV you do have some options but none that I can see being free so to speak. The entire idea is to save cab space, Keep the fridge safe from perving eyes and bouncing cargo, and possibly make it near self sustained. What do you guys think of an expanded metal cage with a solid hinged top? or even aluminum sheet with multiple 2 inch holes through out the sides? The biggest concern for direct heat is usually in the middle of the day when the sun is high. if you layered rigid foam to the lid you might get away with it. Add a shelf for the battery and maybe a power converter (gotta have the blender to mix up margaritas right) and not only do you have a great piece of equipment but also something that is marketable. you better patent this now or someone else will next week lol.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Not sure I would want to use Black plastic at all. it has almost no heat dissipation ability. Having dealt with high current 12v amplifiers which get hot enough to fry an egg on a cool day, The entire plan posses a few problems, mostly with heat dissipation. Looking at this from Chase and Lances POV you do have some options but none that I can see being free so to speak. The entire idea is to save cab space, Keep the fridge safe from perving eyes and bouncing cargo, and possibly make it near self sustained. What do you guys think of an expanded metal cage with a solid hinged top? or even aluminum sheet with multiple 2 inch holes through out the sides? The biggest concern for direct heat is usually in the middle of the day when the sun is high. if you layered rigid foam to the lid you might get away with it. Add a shelf for the battery and maybe a power converter (gotta have the blender to mix up margaritas right) and not only do you have a great piece of equipment but also something that is marketable. you better patent this now or someone else will next week lol.

the tote wont work...my 63qt fridge is the same size!!:Wow1:

I have some more ideas bouncin around...

oh..and ya dont need the inverter...just an air compressor/co2 tank and a 3/8 impact air wrench/butterfly and an adapter on the bottom of the blender pitcher..(or if your lucky you can find one thats a 3/8 squaredrive from the factory!)..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles