Fridge/Freezers

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
BajaTaco said:
That's cool. The only thing I'm not crazy about is that it runs on AAA batteries (not 12v). A fresh set will probably run that thermo for a long time though, so no biggie.

Yeah, i concur! I am on a mission to find something similar like what you have! :D

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Boston Mangler said:

I bought that one a few months ago - it runs on a flat disc watch type batery - being digital I cannot imagine it using much juice to run.

I did not get to into it - just dropped in the little thermostat end into the fridge - and velcroed the unit onto the back of the truck where I can read it from the mirror or by turningaround when I get into the fridge - it has been nice to know the exact temps inside and outside the fridge - Quick and easy for now ;)

Side note: I have really not had to change the fridge temp adjustment during hot or cold days - it just runs less on colder days ( I also have the tranist bag cover which is priceless) -

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Boston Mangler said:

I bought that one a few months ago - it runs on a flat disc watch type battery - being digital I cannot imagine it using much juice to run.

I did not get to into it - just dropped in the little thermostat end into the fridge - and Velcro the unit onto the back of the truck where I can read it from the mirror or by turning around when I get into the fridge - it has been nice to know the exact temps inside and outside the fridge - Quick and easy for now ;)

Side note: I have really not had to change the fridge temp adjustment during hot or cold days - it just runs less on colder days ( I also have the transit bag cover which is priceless) -

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Desertdude said:
I bought that one a few months ago - it runs on a flat disc watch type battery - being digital I cannot imagine it using much juice to run.

I did not get to into it - just dropped in the little thermostat end into the fridge - and Velcro the unit onto the back of the truck where I can read it from the mirror or by turning around when I get into the fridge - it has been nice to know the exact temps inside and outside the fridge - Quick and easy for now ;)

Side note: I have really not had to change the fridge temp adjustment during hot or cold days - it just runs less on colder days ( I also have the transit bag cover which is priceless) -

Curious, on a warm day (75 or so) what setting do you run it at to keep everything cool?

Thanks

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
Boston Mangler said:
Also, does anyone have that Engel "Transit Lock" sliding thing? Not the big $ one metal, but the $65 one? Curious to see it in action!

Thanks

I use a transit lock and I'm very pleased with it. Not sure what you want, maybe a picture?
BX

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I have the transit lock ( high impact pastic) it is OK I can't seem to get mine to work easily - I have it bolted down to a piece of 3/4" plywood - it is possible I have a slight bend to the ply - have not checked it out yet.

It does stay locked and when I hit the button it release fine ( just hard to slam it into lock position) :)

All and all the best way to hold the unit in place

BMAN

Adventurer
Reading through this thread I noticed where both SCott and Baja have run similar yet very different tests on their machines to calculate efficiency and battery drain. Can you really even be fair w/o addressing actuall hour of runtime for the motor? I'd like to know if anyone has thought of attaching an hourmeter to figure "ACTUAL" runtime for the fridge to maintain a set temp over a set time at whatever that random temp might be.

Pricey but maybe worth the investment for testing purposes is this unit
http://www.engineeringtalk.com/news/enm/enm100.html

Attaches directly to your compressor motor and measures only "true" run time.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Even on a hot day, 1.5 is a good setting. I had it around 2 and it started freezing stuff, outside temp was around 90

i think 1 to 1.5 is good for refrigeration

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Cool idea BMAN. (no pun intended) 73 bucks would buy a really nice bottle of tequila though. :p But if anyone wants to send me a meter - I'd be happy to run the test on my 60L. I bet someone could find comprehensive fridge tests in back issues of Australian 4wd Monthly. I might even have one somewhere... I will need to look.

On the setting, mine varies depending on ambient temps. and I haven't really paid much attention to where it is on the dial. I will check on this next trip.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
BajaXplorer said:
I use a transit lock and I'm very pleased with it. Not sure what you want, maybe a picture?
BX

Thanks!

Basically i am trying to decide if the transit lock is a better deal then the unit shown here: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_fridges.htm

Seems to be a big price gap between the two. I have seen the metal one posted above in action and its great, but if the transit lock does the same job for about 1/3 the price, i would go that route! :D

Thanks

gjackson

FRGS
I think the two have slightly different purposes. The slidelock is more of a nice mounting system to keep the fridge in one place. The unit Slee sells holds the fridge but also allows you to roll it out for easy access while still mounted. The slide lock is pretty easy to operate, but despite its name it does not make the fridge that easy to slide in and out on a regular basis. Mainly it just keeps the fridge in place without having to put a strap over the lid. The fridge slide lets you pull the fridge out of a door while still mounted for easy filling.

I've used a slidelock and it is a really secure mounting system. But then I don't have my fridge in a location where I could benefit from having it roll out.

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior