Fridge/Freezer Tips

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Beer begins to slush at 29°:)
The Container store makes stackable plastics for organization along with wire mesh lunch boxes
Look for and reusable square or modular containers to maximize space for liquids like water, juice, and milk
Ice cubes in the bottom in a plastic bag works well or plastic bag in the mesh lunch box if you need a lot
A full fridge is much more efficient then an empty. Water is an excellent choice to take up spare room(thermal mass)
If you are single battery you can unplug your fridge at night to be safe with only a ~10° increase in temp over night
Use an insulated blanket or make one using silver bubble wrap and duct tape.
Consider a solar panel in lieu of a more costly 2nd battery
Ventilation of the fridge is your friend and will increase efficiency

stioc

Expedition Leader
I don't understand why my fridge is turning off when I have the ARB wiring kit and using a 6+ month old battery. The fridge is the only thing that constantly runs off the battery if I have it in the Jeep. I'm using one of those Die Hard Platinum Series too. So it should be able to hold up to accessories.

Does this happen only when the engine isn't running? Have you checked the voltage at the fridge end when it turns off to rule out the built in low-volt battery cut-off?

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Does this happen only when the engine isn't running? Have you checked the voltage at the fridge end when it turns off to rule out the built in low-volt battery cut-off?

When I first installed it it ran just fine. Few months went by and noticed that the light would blink red. I even changed the volt settings to try out each level. I only notice the problem with the engine hasn't been running. I don't have a voltage meter to check the actual voltage though.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Do you got a Harbor Freight Tools nearby? If so, start checking in your junk mail and/or your Sunday newspaper ads for their flyer until you see the coupon for this digital voltmeter free with any purchase (almost everyone should be able to find something they'll want to buy there lol... But if not, you can use the generic 25% off coupon for the meter instead which will bring it's price at the moment to just over $4).

Probe your wiring right at the fridge with the test leads and monitor the voltage during the time your fridge's compressor tries to start up... If it drops to 11V or less, you've found your problem (your wiring has too much resistance... bad ground most probable if you're using a pre-made wiring harness specifically for your fridge). If the voltage stays well above 11V, then your fridge's low-voltage cutoff might be set too high.

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I am planning on getting a similar IndelB as stoic, my Xterra has a factory 12V plug in the cargo area. Will I have any issues with cutoff ?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Well I too have a factory 12v socket but for one thing it's switched and two the wiring was too thin so I ran a new wire with an inline 15amp fuse this gives me a dedictaed always-on 12v socket for the fridge (or a quick cell phone charge). It's really easy to do.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Well I too have a factory 12v socket but for one thing it's switched and two the wiring was too thin so I ran a new wire with an inline 15amp fuse this gives me a dedictaed always-on 12v socket for the fridge (or a quick cell phone charge). It's really easy to do.

Luckily mine is always hot, however like you said not designed to be running a fridge for long time periods, I will just have to keep an eye on it when I get it

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
what trailer is that? Is that the AT Teardrop? And what tear drop is that Jeep pulling?

Sorry for getting off topic.

My big red one is a Little Guy 6x10 Silver Shadow with Rough Rider package and the small green one behind Andy's Jeep is a Lefty's Original that Andy overhauled and improved.
http://www.golittleguy.com/ I think they still have my youtube slideshow on their website in the video section.
Lefty is out of the trailer business...

I'd run a dedicated 10-gauge wire to any fridge. You're only as good as your wire. And battery(s).

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Beer begins to slush at 29°:)
The Container store makes stackable plastics for organization along with wire mesh lunch boxes
Look for and reusable square or modular containers to maximize space for liquids like water, juice, and milk
Ice cubes in the bottom in a plastic bag works well or plastic bag in the mesh lunch box if you need a lot
A full fridge is much more efficient then an empty. Water is an excellent choice to take up spare room(thermal mass)
If you are single battery you can unplug your fridge at night to be safe with only a ~10° increase in temp over night
Use an insulated blanket or make one using silver bubble wrap and duct tape.
Consider a solar panel in lieu of a more costly 2nd battery
Ventilation of the fridge is your friend and will increase efficiency
Thanks, that's the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Lono

Adventurer
Guys, sorry for the cross-post but was hoping those of you that checked in here might see this sooner than later since you're already subscribed to the thread:

Just got my new 50 qt ARB. Not surprisingly the manual suggestions a dedicated connection to the battery. Tell me that isn't a "must-do" on a modern vehicle like my '02 Discovery. Yes, I plan on doing that anyway soon enough, but was expecting to use it this weekend via the DII's rear 12v outlet. FWIW, my truck has the IBS dual battery setup with two new batteries under the hood.

Any input on this would be appreciated, as always,

Thanks,

Steve

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Guys, sorry for the cross-post but was hoping those of you that checked in here might see this sooner than later since you're already subscribed to the thread:

Just got my new 50 qt ARB. Not surprisingly the manual suggestions a dedicated connection to the battery. Tell me that isn't a "must-do" on a modern vehicle like my '02 Discovery. Yes, I plan on doing that anyway soon enough, but was expecting to use it this weekend via the DII's rear 12v outlet. FWIW, my truck has the IBS dual battery setup with two new batteries under the hood.

Any input on this would be appreciated, as always,

Thanks,

Steve
My 12v sockets worked on my Power Wagon just fine.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
I want to be able to get it to be a fridge/freezer. How do you guys normally make this happen? I know there is a sweet spot that will freeze the bottom few inches while leaving the top part above freezing. I've also heard that some people use those plastic "election" signs you see everywhere. They cut them to fit the fridge and lay them flat to separate the freezer area at the bottom.

TO address your question... It's a "fridge/freezer" in that is can be a fridge OR turn it down and it's a freezer. Not both at once. The coils are in the sidewalls and if it freezes anything it will freeze everything adjacent to those coils. The only 12vDC fridge that I know of that does both simultaneously is the National Luna (http://www.nationalluna.com/NLR74.htm) but it's well north of $2k!

Xterabl

Adventurer
If you feel a little risky, you could try the non-uberlander...but definitely pro-overlander Whynter version:
http://www.amazon.com/Whynter-FM-62DZ-Portable-Refrigerator-62-Quart/dp/B008VX01P2

Basically, you can buy two Whynters for one Nationa Luna.
I expect the proper economical solution is for 2 overlanders to chip-in for 3 Whynters (2+ plus a backup), and whoever has to use the 3rd one (the backup fridge) to pay his partner 50% of the the shared 3rd fridge price.
Or, you could just buy and hope...which has actually worked VERY WELL for ME and my Edgestar 43 quarter fridge, which is still kickin' strong after 4 years...!

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Just used my fridge in anger for the first time on a trip to northern MN with the Midwest Overland Society... my "duh" tips are:
1) Remove the beer from the six-pack holders and pack cans individually, that way you don't get an avalanche of stuff when you pull out a six pack all at once.
2) pack some of the beer on top, as at least one will be consumed before making dinner each you camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94