Fridge/freezer advice wanted

Explorerinil

Observer
So I’m new to the fridge freezer for camping. Can you tell me all I need to know about these, how do they wire up, what is the best brand, what size to get and anything else you think I should know before buying one. I see a few brands, ARB, engall and snomaster, which is the best and why? Thanks for your help.

jadmt

ignore button user
I love my ARB 50 and it comes with a harness that is best wired directly off the battery. You can run it from your vehicle or plug it into 110V at home.

jgaz

Adventurer
I have an older Engel 45 that I bought used about four years ago from an estate sale.
When I bought it I had an issue with it running on 12 volts. The person(s) I spoke with several times at Engel were extremely helpful with advice and PDF info.
The customer service I received as the second owner on an older, used, unit was impressive.

I have run mine off the cigarette lighter plug in my wife’s van but I prefer the reliability of the Anderson connectors and dedicated harness I use in the Jeep.

Bonus: My wife likes it as an overflow or patio fridge for parties etc.

john61ct

Adventurer
Engel has an unsurpassed reputation for longevity in harsh conditions.

The other two are also top brands.

For those looking to save money, none of the lesser brands are really that bad, compressors are very robust it's electronics breaking that makes repairs expensive.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
First, what are your needs? Do you need a combo unit with fridge freezer, or dedicated unit? Does it need to be portable? Or are you looking at cabinet mount units? Finally, what size you you need?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
There are a lot of decent fridges out there these days. Anything with a danfoss compressor should give you years of trouble free service. As has been said, figure out the size and features that are important to you first. There is no "best" size.

Umbrarian

Observer
Can you tell me all I need to know about these, how do they wire up,

I have the ARB, not as familiar with others. ARB uses 12DC or 120AC. If simultaneously connected, it favors AC.

what is the best brand,
What makes a brand "best"? Size, cost, reliability. Most of the top brands are fine. If one was the best at everything, there would only be one brand.

what size to get

How much stuff do you want to keep cold? Will it fit?

Explorerinil

Observer
First, what are your needs? Do you need a combo unit with fridge freezer, or dedicated unit? Does it need to be portable? Or are you looking at cabinet mount units? Finally, what size you you need?
Hauling food and some drinks for a couple people possibly max 4, I guess I don’t need a freezer. I would prefer something portable that I can move vehicle to vehicle if need be.

86scotty

Cynic
There are many, many articles and discussions on this all over this forum and the internet in general. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but use the search function. A whole lot has already been said.

It sounds like you need a mid sized chest type fridge, which will essentially look just like an ice chest. Most that I have seen have AC/DC capability. Also, most can be used as a freezer or a fridge. They can be turned down to freezer range and do an admirable job as a dedicated freezer if you ever do make it to Alaska and need to haul a bunch of fresh salmon home.

You can overpay for one of these for sure. I love ARB, National Luna and Engel but I would never pay for one considering I've bought 5 or 6 Truckfridges at half the price of the 'leaders' and never had a problem with one. Most Truckfridges are rebranded Vitrifrigo or IndelB, both very respected European brands. Consider your use. Why spend $1000 on what $500 will do just fine?

Explorerinil

Observer
There are many, many articles and discussions on this all over this forum and the internet in general. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but use the search function. A whole lot has already been said.

It sounds like you need a mid sized chest type fridge, which will essentially look just like an ice chest. Most that I have seen have AC/DC capability. Also, most can be used as a freezer or a fridge. They can be turned down to freezer range and do an admirable job as a dedicated freezer if you ever do make it to Alaska and need to haul a bunch of fresh salmon home.

You can overpay for one of these for sure. I love ARB, National Luna and Engel but I would never pay for one considering I've bought 5 or 6 Truckfridges at half the price of the 'leaders' and never had a problem with one. Most Truckfridges are rebranded Vitrifrigo or IndelB, both very respected European brands. Consider your use. Why spend $1000 on what $500 will do just fine?
Thanks for your info on truck fridges, I looked at their site they look well priced. I used the search function, I read multiple write ups, I just want some newer info as models and technology changes, plus I want to get something good, not something that’s going to fail or be a pile of crap.

Explorerinil

Observer

Anyone have any experience with the Dometic cfx40? Looks like a good unit and there is a sale on it now through Monday.

chet6.7

Explorer
I went with an ARB 50 several months back so no long term,or rugged conditions usage. If I were to do it again I would go for the next size up,they fill up pretty quickly.The set temp swings more than I would like,I followed the procedure for setting the thermostat,it is supposed to be adjustable in 1* increments,but it jumps 2*. I lined the outside with 1" of styrofoam insulation and reflectix,it is cold to the touch.
One of the things I suggest looking at is how do you want the door to open,like Dometic or ARB.
My original thought was to run it as a freezer to resupply ice for a cooler and use defrosting food for cooling as well.
Now,I think a dual zone that could run in full fridge or full freezer mode, or, dual fridge/freeze would be the most versatile.
Andrew St.Pierre White likes Snowmaster,I don't know if that is promotional or not. Ronny Dahl used to use an ARB,I believe he is using an Engle now,again,I don't know if it is promotional or not. 4WD Action uses Dometic/Waeco,it is promotional.There is a youtube channel called cheap RV living,he uses a Wynter and maybe a Truckfridge.
Having a Danfoss compressor is mentioned by brands that have it.

john61ct

Adventurer
For those looking to save money, none of the lesser brands are really that bad, compressors are very robust it's electronics breaking that makes repairs expensive.

B

BPD53

I had an Indel B from Truckfridge and the door hinge broke. I wasn't ever rough with it and it still broke. The quoted replacement part was going to cost about 1/2 of the fridges original purchase price. I was disappointed in the quality.

I said screw it and "fixed it" with a piece of all thread and some two part epoxy. I ended up picking up an ARB that has been bombproof and lives a fairly hard life in the bed of my truck.

I gave the Indel B to my buddy as a gift but doubt I'd ever give my ARB away.

ARB has been great for me but I'm sure other brands are just fine. I liked the height/width/lid opening direction/capacity etc....for my particular application.

I'd consider exactly where you want to mount it before choosing a particular brand. Even the location of the controls can end up being a pain if the mounting location is hard to access.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94