Fridge cover...yes or no?

jadmt

ignore button user
I'm the administrator of a test and measurement training lab, chemical analysis instruments, and I test and measure everything. It's a disease...

Controlled environment, my garage, 86 degrees all day.
My fridge's surface temperatures ranged from 74 to 72 degrees (not near the compressor vent where temps were higher than ambient).
They don't make an off-the-shelf cover for my fridge so I cut 1" closed-cell foam mat to fit the exterior of the fridge, around the vents, etc.
Surface temps of the foam later in the day were 1 or 2 degrees lower than ambient. Those 10 to 12 degrees were being held inside now (sorta...).

I didn't want to sit there all day and count the duty cycles of the compressor. But I did compare how much it depleted my house batteries before/after during an evening of running.
.5 volts before and .2 volts after ------ not a very valid test though since it was a warmer evening for the before measurement.

I think we're overlooking how much these wraps cost. Over $100 for the ARB and I bet it cost them $6 to make it.
I'm a fan of insulation if you can fit it.
yea but the ARB cover has a cool top map design, easily worth an extra $96.00 oh and a pocket worth pretty much more too lol.

IMG_20191025_193826760_TOP.jpg

TwinStick

Explorer
Yes.

But both our ARB transit bags were free. Even if they didn't help with insulation, they would be worth it to keep your investment from getting banged up during house to vehicle or vehicle to garage trips.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I have and use our Snomaster cover since it was included - I think it must help in case of direct sunlight, but even more so that it's cut a little loose, so I often stuff some large pieces of closed cell foam inside to add to the insulation, especially on top where it gets exposed to sun the most.

And yes be sure to keep those vents with enough space for easy breathing and heat dissipation

trailscape

Explorer
My ARB has been covered a while, when I remove it you can see where UV has somewhat faded the exposed panels. It's not huge, but something to consider.

I got it for protection more than anything else.

krick3tt

Adventurer
That was an interesting graph but it seems to be in inches of insulation snd the predominate thickness of cooler covers is about 1/4 inch or even less. Doesn't seem to be a relevant comparison to reality.
I have never covered mine and in the 4 years I have used it there doesn't seem to be any significant loss of cool or too much of a power draw. It is bolted to the floor of the LR between the second row seats so is relatively protected but it has been in the back of a Mog and a Pinzgauer so whatever damage has come from those places has in no way diminished its performance. After each trip I clean the inside with alcohol and leave it open foe a few days to air out and keep baking soda on a container to keep it fresh.
Great little device, and worth the cost to have fresh food that is not wet and beer that is cold.
If I ever have to replace it I will get one with a freezer in it too.

grogie

Like to Camp
One possible plus to a cover is that it's not as much of a noticeable shinny object (as in the case of Snomaster with its stainless steal sides) if someone looks in through a window.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

moose545

Direct sunlight and UV "wear or breakdown" maybe might be an issue. Most coolers are plastic not metal, so the cover would help there I think. My windows are tinted which will help, and the Ironman cooler I just ordered is plastic not metal, so I'll get a cover in time, but not too stressed about it. Now no tint and exposed, yeah I'd be more apt to get one on a plastic bodied cooler yes.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Well I have been using my Fridge in the house since March last Year and I have taken the Cover Off because the Cover seems to make them Sweat, I had the fridge sitting on top of my Off Road Equipment Box and water was pooling in the cover between the Bottom of the fridge and the Cover, Not only that When I took the fridge off the top of my Off Road Box, I Opened the box and some things were going Mouldy and Condensation was Dripping and had a Heavily Build Up on the inside of the lid of the Box,

Since I removed the Cover "Last Week" the Fridge has stopped Sweating, So Here's my thought about Covers after constant Use.

1) Covers are great If your fridge lives in the Back of your Truck or out in the Open in the Bush,

2) For Domestic Use indoors or in a RV/Camper then Take it Off because of Excess Sweating.

3) With the Cover Removed I have noticed that it might run a minute or Two longer But the Fridge also Stays Off a Lot Longer Too and Indoors it is staying Off for well over 3 hours at a time and using less than 238 Watts in a 24 hour period while running on AC,

4) Another thing that will reduce Run Times and give it Longer Off Times is if you put a layer of Cans of Cokes or Dr Pepper's or what ever you like in the Bottom and place your food on top of those cans because they hold their Temp well and the Cold is transferred to the Sensor below in the Base of the fridge, And it shows because I have been getting On and Off Cycles of over 4 Hours by Packing the fridge in this way,

Anyway Guys and Gals Hope that helps. ?

minhster714

I'm also not sure if the insulation helped or not either, but I figure it protects the fridge from being banged up here and there. On my Dometic, I removed the hook and loop on the lid just to make it quicker/easier to open the top and I also put a sheet of reflectix on each side (cut openings for the vents) to increase insulation, I figure R-Value is R-Value right? The only thing i sometimes wonder is if the fridge runs more/harder at night when ambient temps are already cold because of the insulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles