fridge... battery..solar..questions

colorado matt

Adventurer
fridge .... 4 amps? .... pump 6 amps .... 3 amps x4 for actuators .... dont know what ampicity means .....

thinking 6 gauge for connecting batteries and to breaker and to distribution block .... have not decided what happens after the block... 10 gauge to switches and beyond ??? ....Matt

pluton

Adventurer
from Wiki: Ampacity is a portmanteau for ampere capacity defined by National Electrical Codes, in some North American countries. Ampacity is defined as the maximum current, in amperes, that a conductor can carry continuously under the conditions of use without exceeding its temperature rating.[1] Also described as current-carrying capacity.

colorado matt

Adventurer
ok helpful..... ordered circiut breaker ..distribution block ... switches ... wire and a little panel for volt meter/usb charging.... was able to replace the supplied controller on the solar panels with the victron controller...pretty slick the way it fit...so that is one less thing in the box... ordered some slides for the fridge and everything should get here just in time to look at it and then going to fla for a month.... more updates as things progress....Matt

colorado matt

Adventurer
i do have progress but no pics to speak of.... fridge slide was homemade and works quite well.... as mentioned earlier i went with 2 golf cart batteries (6 volt in series) .... 200 amp hours ...so using half of their power i can power fridge for 5 days without solar.... last trip i did not pull out the solar till 3rd day and topped off the battery in a matter of hours(10,000 feet elevation in clear colorado sky) ..temp set at 36 degrees on fridge..... as far as wiring .... the switch panel i used wanted one power in and one ground in ...hard to make out in the pic above but i bought a fuse block and rewired the switch so each switch was its own fused individual circuit .... so far i have one for fridge ...one for linear actuators ..and one for pump that feeds on demand hot water heater.... quite happy with how it turned out and really is a dead simple system.... private message me your phone and i would be happy to text any pics you want to see .... Matt

p.s. some pics here .. https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/my-trailer.219858/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier