Fridge Advice - Weird space to fill

iggi

Ian
Hey everyone, hope to pick your collective minds on finding 12 volt DC fridge to fit a strange spot.

Trying hard to not cut into my outdoor storage closet that runs below my sink and where I want to install the stove.
There's a bunch of extra cabinet space but it's wide, short and not that deep. I'd be almost tempted to run two drawer fridges side by side but.. it's too close to the ceiling to easily get food in or out of that setup.

So here's a rough up with measurements of what I'm trying to make work.

Any suggestions as to what fridge might fit there?

iggi

Ian
Thanks! They've got some really interesting options.
Nothing quite what I was hoping for but some that might work really well for a couple spots I had not considered as fridge capable.

I'd start digging through Indel B's many 12V options.

http://www.indelb.com/products/automotive

Here are a few possibilities:
http://www.indelb.com/products/automotive/travel_box/tb36am

http://www.indelb.com/products/automotive/travel_box/tb30am_drawer_2

That's a tough height. You may end up needing a slide to pull out a top opening box.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Don't discount an efficient 120 V type dorm fridge. The higher quality ones won't have significantly more power consumption if you choose a low standby power inverter.

Their option is to modify the fridge. If you're handy you can always cut the casing of some of these fridges to make them slightly smaller.

The other option is to make a custom fridge. Danfoss and several others offer standalone fridge kits which include the compressor, condenser, and evaporator. You build an enclosure for them with a door.

Last edited:

iggi

Ian
The fridge kit sounds like a wingdinger of a good idea! Would be awesome to use the space I have and not have to compromise on the layout I want. Thanks!!

Don't discount an efficient 120 V type dorm fridge. The higher quality ones won't have significantly more power consumption even you choose a low standby power inverter.

Their option is to modify the fridge. If you're handy you can always cut the casing of some of these fridges to make them slightly smaller.

The other option is to make a custom fridge. Danfoss and several others offer standalone fridge kits which include the compressor, condenser, and evaporator. You build an enclosure for them with a door.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Top on my list would be a Dometic CRX-50 followed by a CRX-65. Possibly even two CRX-50 units side by side. They have three modes: Fridge, Fridge/Freezer, Freezer.

I am very happy with my CRX-50.

Custom units get very expensive... more than buying 2 CRX-50 units.

Or a pair of Indel B - CRUISE 40 CUBIC.

iggi

Ian
Looks like the fridge kits run around $1200. You're right. No savings there, especially once you factor in time.
How are you finding the CRX-50 for space? I can just fit one into where I want but it seemed a teeny bit small, but maybe I'm overestimating my needs.

Top on my list would be a Dometic CRX-50 followed by a CRX-65. Possibly even two CRX-50 units side by side. They have three modes: Fridge, Fridge/Freezer, Freezer.

I am very happy with my CRX-50.

Custom units get very expensive... more than buying 2 CRX-50 units.

Or a pair of Indel B - CRUISE 40 CUBIC.

Paddy

Adventurer
I wonder if you could cannibalize a dorm fridge and built it into your cab? The AC fridges are more efficient than the DC ones, even with the losses of the inverter. However for quiet nothing beats propane.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Looks like the fridge kits run around $1200. You're right. No savings there, especially once you factor in time.
How are you finding the CRX-50 for space? I can just fit one into where I want but it seemed a teeny bit small, but maybe I'm overestimating my needs.
It has plenty of space to keep some meat, eggs, milk, and drinks cold. I've not camped in it much so its hard to say. This weekend I switched it to full freezer mode and had 48 hamburger patties, 2 Costco packs of chicken, 15 chicken kabobs, a pack of meat balls, and a dozen Jumbo freezes in it.

Abitibi has a 95 and says he's good for about a week for the four of them. So it all depends on how remote and for how long.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I wonder if you could cannibalize a dorm fridge and built it into your cab? The AC fridges are more efficient than the DC ones, even with the losses of the inverter. However for quiet nothing beats propane.
Although propane needs to be level and can't be got from the sun.

luthj

Engineer In Residence

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Here is that same kit for 650$
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2383951

This one is fridge only, but you can get an idea of whats out there. The nice thing about these units, is the compressor can be mounted remotely, so you can get more fridge space, and move the compressor wherever its convenient.

Another option is to source a used 12V compressor, and and 120V fridge you like. Swap the compressor for the 12V and recharge with 134A. Mechanical thermostats will work, some will need a relay depending on compressor. Danfoss units have a signal wire which carriers little current, so they are easier than the simpler compressors.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I will add that these kits are often used to convert ice boxes/coolers to a fridge. So if you can find a well insulated cooler that fits, you could in theory convert to a fridge. You want at least 2" of rigid foam insulation on the sides, 1.5" is okay on the door. A freezer should have another 3/4". The door must have an air tight seal (magnetic or compression).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles