French Wine Can for Gasoline?

woytovich

Observer
No... I was thinking of using them for gas but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if someone else has already done that...

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo

woytovich

Observer
I've used them for perhaps 15 years as gas cans, both straight gasoline and mixed gas/oil, no problems.
A perfect size IMO, not too heavy when full (easy to pour) and store
The lining inside keeps them rust free . . . I guess French military wine is higher octane then US gas :sombrero:

Thanks for the input!

cyclic

Adventurer
I used the full 20l ones for fuel, but I'm thinking of getting one to use for my premix weed eater/chainsaw fuel. The 20l are perfect, I actually went OCD on mine. I had them sprayed with bed liner and then I hit them with some tan.

haven

Expedition Leader
I think it says a lot about the Gallic culture that their military would have a container designated for wine!
à votre santé!

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
I've used them for years for petroleum stuff. They use the same rubber seal as the NATO fuel cans, so replace the existing seal with one of those. I tried with the original seals, which were white on mine, and they swelled, became very soft, and leaked. Replaced with the fuel can seals and never another problem. I'm currently using them for ATF and coolant.

quickfarms

Adventurer
I think it says a lot about the Gallic culture that their military would have a container designated for wine!
à votre santé!

That container is too small. It must have been for an individual. Years ago there was a joint project US and French and about 20 French navy personnel came state side and they brought there cook and one ISO container for food and a second ISO container for there wine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles