Freightliner M2 or AM General, 6x6

Bullhead

I am new to posting but have been looking into vehicles for the past year off and on, basically wanting a 6x6 with 47-52 inch super singles, preferably 52s. To start traveling all over North America then overseas later on. Wanting to go down tight trails too for some nice lakes. I know the military truck 6x6 can do it. Thing is between these two choices I keep getting back to are priced very different for the truck chassis. Camper part it self will be full off grid, long distance, wanting to build a couple slides in it as we have Great Danes to come with. Could not find any results of the 6x6 M2 with 52 inch tires, but of course lots of the old proven AM General. Parts come into play along with availablity. Want simple design engines to work on if needed.

Things of question are between these trucks or some like it, which are better? Trying to find custom slide campers and how to’s for building. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bullhead

Well I do prefer no electronics that can fail. But they are nice at times, sound proofing is cheap too. They sell them in 6x6 with all sorts of cabs. If it was the AM I would make it an extended cab and sound proof, of course both opens are priced differently for basic, M2 is 4 times the cost but newer, haven’t seen many in 6x6 converted to an expedition, most are 4x4 with no ground clearance haha

CD8EBE45-0FEF-4C04-B6DC-026B75AB9CE9.png

Attachments

• 3E9DC704-7C08-47A8-8334-A8A84D4089C9.png
    3E9DC704-7C08-47A8-8334-A8A84D4089C9.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 24

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
If you want 2nd hand then look for power line bucket trucks otherwise I would suggest the Stewart and Stevenson 6x6 over the older AM general especially if you can get one with the Car 3216 or C7 over the Cat 3116

D

Deleted member 9101

If you want 2nd hand then look for power line bucket trucks otherwise I would suggest the Stewart and Stevenson 6x6 over the older AM general especially if you can get one with the Car 3216 or C7 over the Cat 3116

Definitely go for the LMTV over the older trucks. There is nothing enjoyable about driving the older 2.5 ton or 5 ton all day long.

Bullhead

Ya not interested in the LMTV 4x4, its way too small, i love driving the older trucks to be honest, no electronics which is the best part. Those S+S 6x6 look intheresting for sure, but i have never seen one around the area, advantage for being at home is the military trucks are sold 500kms from my house. Going with the older truck would need to be sound proofed and what not, but options with the 8.3 cummins turbo look good. That C7 is all over the place though, so some thinking for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94