Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

scooter421

Adventurer
Well, I might be out and about tomorrow. Are you going to be around? The other thread did not work for me!

Scooter...

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
OK I put this rig up for the Cool Rides contest at expo west. It will be interesting to see how it rates against some incredible vehicles. Check it out HERE

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
No I never got to that. I bought a set of MRAP axles (locking planetary axles) to put in it and then found the new truck. (Which will get the new axles)

884f9f234c1bb0a41d09bcb268d33f2c.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
OK I put this rig up for the Cool Rides contest at expo west. It will be interesting to see how it rates against some incredible vehicles. Check it out HERE
Vote cast. Bevin I need to ask you a question. Sorry for the hijack but you are the AZ DMV guru.
I bought a 1991 18' boat trailer out of Oregon. In Oregon they title boats and not the trailers. The trailers in Oregon do not have title or registration tag. In AZ we title and register trailers. Of course AZ would not take my bill of sale because of Bla Bla Bla. I'll have a the right Bill of sale on Friday but the DMV still wants me to bring them the trailer to do a Level One inspection. The thing I'm afraid of is that the weight rating and VIN number sticker is worn with missing digits. I called the manufacture and got the VIN correct but they said I'm on my own for a sticker or VIN tag showing weight rating ect. My question is what to expect on this level one inspection? I'm going to hand stamp the complete VIN on the trailer this morning but do you think they will want weight rating ect to be legible? What will the look at? Will they bust my chops for a complete sticker? Web site or DMV tells me nothing and I hate to drag a boat into the city more than once. Any advise or speculation apreciated.

image.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I would suggest trying to get a copy of the MCO from the manufacturer. Other than that it is stamp the number into the chassis and take it for an inspection. Worst that will happen is you may need to do a bonded title.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I would suggest trying to get a copy of the MCO from the manufacturer. Other than that it is stamp the number into the chassis and take it for an inspection. Worst that will happen is you may need to do a bonded title.

I got it but not until after they made me sweat it out. "So let me get this straight...Your assuming that the 1991 EZ Loader Trailer under the 1991 boat with the 1991 outboard actually came from the same place? And since the Oregon title is on the boat and Oregon does not issue trailer titles...." I said to myself shut up and smile. Next they got the books out and made all sorts of interpertations on the intent of the Oregon law. When they read parts I liked I said yes. When they insinuated that it was meant for tiny trailers like a Tiny cement mixer I said no. It boiled down to weight. "Well how much does the boat weigh?" I said 537 lbs. " how much does the engine weigh?" 167 " How much does the empty trailer weigh?" 500 "How much does your tackle and beer cooler weigh?" I don't drink. "How much does your water and drinks, then gas then life jackets ect. They added it up and gave me a title and tag. Good greif! How much does my beer cooler weigh? Fitz made a video of my exact experiance but after reading your posts on the DMV experiance and your advise I lived. Thanks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBLlFMn9Xc

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Does this make my butt look big.

1b6be9195393b093c5d9dd92010dc924.jpg

Trial run to see if the winch could handle it and get some measurements.

This is my answer to the California 55 for trailers speed limit and the Overland Expo space constraint.

097b216c35b72592ae08ab955dccbe39.jpg

eb1040b607b694e0c197244a7f33466d.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
Aren't those little wheels on that floor jack going to get pretty hot going down the interstate at 60 mph! Laughing Dog.gif

BTW, how is that uni-strut you used for the racks holding up? Has it starting rusting, or don't you have to worry about that where you live? I may end up doing something like that to support the 1,200 watts of solar panels I want to mount on the roof of mine.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Unistrut is still going fine. No sign of rust and we actually have had some rain this year.

The jack is a high quality Chinese knockoff. Those wheels should last at least 600 feet.

If you can I would suggest getting the stick on mounting for your panels. It would save about 2" of height and with a well bonded sikaflex will be as strong or stronger than tapped and threaded mounts for unistrut (unless you are going to use the racks for something else.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Unistrut is still going fine. No sign of rust and we actually have had some rain this year.

The jack is a high quality Chinese knockoff. Those wheels should last at least 600 feet.

If you can I would suggest getting the stick on mounting for your panels. It would save about 2" of height and with a well bonded sikaflex will be as strong or stronger than tapped and threaded mounts for unistrut (unless you are going to use the racks for something else.

Actually, the panel manufacturer recommends a 6" space between them and the roof below. Heat is the worst enemy there is of solar panels, and the space allows air to circulate around them, as well as keeping the roof cooler below. I'm also looking into tilting mechanisms to track the sun better.

The racks will be used for mounting other things also, including an awning mounted similar to what you did. The panels I'm trying to get are commercial grade 300W panels from a solar farm down in Miami, FL. They are huge at 77" long x 40" wide, and weigh 65 lbs. each. After doing the math, it looks like four panels won't fit on the roof without overhanging, so I may end up with only three on there.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
And then it looked like this.

da1c9d8641df192d87de2a96679549f1.jpg

And after a few more hours swapping things around in the 100 plus weather it now looks like this.

d6c3f651690d60c1db7db7b102a2b4f5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles