Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I'm guessing that "Ol' Yella/Greenie" will be rolling down the road to a new owner after you build up "Big Red"? Or are you planning to start an ambulance collection?

Regardless, a bit of polish does make it look a lot nicer.

As much as I would like to have a collection Old Yella will be going to a new home. That was the driver for getting it polished. First time it has been washed since I bought it. Getting the left over bits where the gorillas removed the decals took a few hours (and a little swearing)

patoz

Expedition Leader
The ad looks good!

The only thing I would change is the term 'Pass Thru' to 'Walk Thru'. A pass thru generally refers to a window or a small opening that you can hand something thru, and a walk thru will allow a person to go from the cab to the rear area. That may make a difference to a person/family with children, etc. :)

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Lime green! One of the biggest laughs I ever had was when I heard a Phoenix fire fighter, which used red trucks, comment on the local Rural-Metro department, which used the lime green trucks. He said, "they're not ripe yet."

rlrenz

Explorer
When I figured what a paint job would cost, I bought a white ambulance. I'm sticking with white for the base coat, with some graphics for accent.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Still finishing off some of the projects that were on the go before we decided to sell it. We were using South African ammo boxes for our clothes which worked well enough especially for carrying back and forward to the truck. But they were a bit of a PITA to get the gear out of them with the lids latches getting in the way etc. So on our way back from Expo East we decided to still keep the open front concept but to put in some other sort of storage that was easier to get into to. So a trip to the Container Store revealed that we could fit the Elfa drawers in place with some minor modification. So we shortened up the side panel and stuck them in place. Fits great if you don't have the front panels on (which we have removed as they got in the way and would come open on bush tracks anyway). But pictures are better than works so here is a couple of pics. Notice they sit about 1/2" proud of the face which actually helps the strap hold them in place with no rattling.

The good news is for anyone considering using the same system is that these are on 30% off sale until the end of Feb.

Drawers 1.jpg

Drawers 2.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
One thing I alway knew I needed to fix before selling this truck was the tow hitch. The original hitch was just a hitch tube welded into the existing bumper. But on our last trip I picked up a couple of axles and a dual axle trailer to carry them. About 4500#. Well it caused a few fatigue cracks and I wasn't willing to sell the truck in that condition.

So today I inserted a class 5 hitch into the existing bumper. Checkout the welds, I am proud of them.

e8d7e1afb440311bb7aab4bb26acc179.jpg

ebe9b1dd8b02be206742d78b3ae02bac.jpg

But I have to give credit where it's due. It was the pipeline welder from next door who welded it up for me. Better for everyone.

a57753cbef8e7d6bd78d6b16905ec32e.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Stack of them on my other thread. But what I really want to know is when are you taking the big rig for a test run to my place to have a look

M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversio...rtal.com/showthread.php?t=165272&share_type=t

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles