Freezer/Fridge size for family ...

TrailTrackers

Observer
I couldn't agree more with what SHOGUN has outlined above.

We are a family of 5 and purchased the ARB 50QT last year just prior to our Lolo Motorway/McGruder Corridor trip in Aug. '09. The trip was 10 days and we planned our time and location so that after 5 days we could restock.

It was quite easy to pack this fridge for 5 days for 5 people; albiet, 3 are children. And I'm not kidding anybody when I tell you we had bacon, sausage and eggs for breakfast, and hambergers, hotdogs and steaks for dinner; it all fit into this fridge. Oh yeah, and this included all the fixin's and condiments as well. And oh yeah again, this also include chocolate milk, white milk and orange juice.

For our lunches, we usually do some sort of meat sandwiches, or we'll heat up some water and do the cup-o-soup. To heat the water, we use a single burner that screws to the top of a 1lb propane bottle, and we store that in the nose box of the trailer for quick, easy access. We have 3 plastic tubs for all the dry stuff that is necessary for eating and cleaning; the stove and pans go in the trailer.

We also carry a simple ice chest for our soft-drinks and water. We usually drink and cook with bottled water and take plenty. We have this method down to a "T" and it has worked quite well for us on the long trips that we take.

So all that being said, if my family of 5 can get by for 5-days eating like we do, my opinion is that you should be just fine with the large fridge that you have in mind. Hope that helps.

TrailTrackers

Observer
I am trying to decide between the edgestar 43qt or 63qt fridge. It is my wife and I and two kids do you think I would be ok with the smaller one or should I hold out for the larger one?

Hi Steve. Long time no talk ehh?

I'm just curious, why have you ruled out the ARB 50QT?

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I like that 86qt. looking at the dimensions. not to bad in the back of a 4runner. $599 is a lot better than $1000+ for some of the other manufacturers.

Willman

Sure love my 60 Liter Fridge!

With the wife and i and the two kids....We fill it up on our long trips. I'm glad i got the bigger fridge.

I run an 84qt Waeco fridge and love it. Many trips it's overkill for me but when I go out for a week and have others with me it's perfect.

84 qt.....Now that is a fridge!

mesha

Observer
I am trying to decide between the edgestar 43qt or 63qt fridge. It is my wife and I and two kids do you think I would be ok with the smaller one or should I hold out for the larger one?

I got the 63 and am glad I did. The only downside is the dimensions, but not that big of a difference. It keeps the family fed. me my wife and 2 kids(the girl is only 1 though). If you catch them on sale they aren't a difference in price really.

RETROFIT

Observer
I am still undecided on the brand of the fridge I will take. I have to pull the trigger this week though so I will report back.

Pat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles