Freeze dried hash browns - who else likes them?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Hello.....my name is Paul and I am a fried tater addict.
Got home late, tired, hungry, thirsty and really just wanted some comfort food. Had a partial bag of seasoned french fries, diced them and tossed them in a fry pan with onion and one chopped sausage. Let them brown, added a couple of eggs and some cheddar cheese......chopped seasoned french fries! A whole new tater experience!
I'll be quiet now.

DortchRules

I like those from Denny’s, They use freeze-dried hash-browns, then fill them with hot water and stores them in the cooler. To cook them, they use tons of liquid butter on a 375 degree flat grill. The trick to getting them crispy, (besides making sure they aren’t over-watered when prepping) is to not bother with them for at least 5 or 6 minutes before flipping them over. If you flip too soon, the optimal crisp is lost.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
You might try making your own by dehydrating them with one of those new “air fryers”. We’ve been successfully doing that...they’re very easy to fix and tasty, cheaper and fresher than the frozen ones. And best of all, the hot spices we use (Zatarain’s or Tony Chachere’s) cook fully into them making them even more flavorable.

BTW, this air fry system also works well for making really tasty, lower fat, less salty potato chips and home fries.

2B08456A-6A46-4191-9057-A39EAF4502AB.jpeg

Last edited:

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
You might try making your own by dehydrating them with one of those new “air fryers”. We’ve been successfully doing that...they’re very easy to fix and tasty, cheaper and fresher than the frozen ones. And best of all, the hot spices we use (Zatarain’s or Tony Chachere’s) cook fully into them making them even more flavorable.

BTW, this air fry system also works well for making really tasty, lower fat, less salty potato chips and home fries.

View attachment 648160

I never wanted an air fryer till this!!

frans

Adventurer
I am kinda puzzled by this thread, pls school me politely if you would.

I can take a raw potato, which stores for months in slightly cooler temps, grate it, fry it, and make excellent hash browns. or bake it.

also potatoes take up a tiny storage space in any overlander or camping rig and are not fragile to store like eggs for example.
I can easily buy a potato from a chain store, or better yet from a farmer's market, thus ensuring I know where and how it was grown. Heck, potatoes are one of the most easily self grown even in tight urban areas!
These dehydrated packaged potatoes have been through an industrial manufacturing process then mass distribution.
I can understand a ‘ready to eat’ complete meal, but potatoes?

My question: why buy this product? What is the attraction?
thx

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
frans.. you would need extra storage space for the grater and.. :unsure:.. and you wouldn't need a freezer.
I think you're on to something.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
IMHO, With raw potatoes you have to grate them, soak them, drain them and cook them. They can still turn up soggy. When I use raw potatoes, I typically bake them first, then slice them thick with some onlons and peppers, cooked in bacon fat is the best. The box kind is lighter weight, stores longer, has all the same nutrients and when prepared correctly, can be just as tasty - and when traveling light, they rock.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
They are great little high in sodium but a great item to store for wildfire / earth quake kits and take camping etc.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Okay, well, I'm doing a solo couple of days in the desert next week. This thread revival got me to thinking about those dang hash-browns. Ima pretend for a couple of days that the word "diet" doesn't exist. Hash browns and sausage gravy is on the menu. So is steak, whiskey and beans :)

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
IMHO, With raw potatoes you have to grate them, soak them, drain them and cook them. They can still turn up soggy. When I use raw potatoes, I typically bake them first, then slice them thick with some onlons and peppers, cooked in bacon fat is the best. The box kind is lighter weight, stores longer, has all the same nutrients and when prepared correctly, can be just as tasty - and when traveling light, they rock.
That's been my experience. If I cook a raw potato I'll chop it up and cook it in a little oil. I'll coat all potatoes by tossing them leaving a lid on them for a few minutes. Next come the onions and bell peppers salt and pepper. Lid goes back on for a few minutes then off for high heat and a browning. If I want to really fancy it up I'll add some Jimmy Dean sausage that I've already cooked,drained and squeezed between a paper bag.

trae

Adventurer
:D

Why eat smokies? I prefer to start with a pork butt, gently smoke it for 8 hours (depending on size of course) let it rest for 2 hours and consume it with organic home made bbq sauce

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles