Freeze dried hash browns - who else likes them?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We "discovered" these back in 2013 (when we had our first fridge, a very small 19qt Dometic unit.) We were staying at a KOA in Cody, WY in our little teardrop trailer and they were giving them away for free.
Now I'll never waste fridge space with hash browns again. Super easy to make and they seem to last forever.
https://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Jack-Premium-Hashbrowns-4-2-Ounce/dp/B004UEG1XM
Most grocery stores have them and they cost around $1.25 a box. One box will definitely feed two hungry people, and we've gotten 3 or 4 people fed on a box in the past.
Sometimes we'll arrange our meal plan so that for dinner we'll cook a nice juicy steak, marinated, with fresh bell peppers, mushrooms and onions on Friday night. We make more than we can eat and the extra steak, onions and peppers go into a zip loc bag in the fridge.
Next morning I cook up some hash browns and throw the leftover steak (cut into small pieces) and veggies into the mix. Great breakfast and easy to cook!
All you need to cook these is a way to heat water and a frying pan. Heat up water, put it in the carton and let it soak for 12 minutes. After that, it's just like cooking frozen hash browns in a frying pan.

SGNellett

Adventurer
We have used them in large quantities for scouting events a few times, no one even realized there was any difference. Handy for feeding a large crowd of hungry teenagers!

AaronK

Explorer
Costco carries them in an eight-pack of pint milk cartons. Re-hydrate them, toss with onions, peppers, cheese and bacon, wrap in tortillas and you just have a skillet to clean up.

p.s. - most breakfast places that serve hash browns use freeze-dried. The more you know :)
That's how I buy them! Delicious!

Sent from my PADD using Tapatalk.

Honu

lost on the mainland
ditto the costco ones not bad :)

I like em but not love em like frozen ?

Costco carries them in an eight-pack of pint milk cartons. Re-hydrate them, toss with onions, peppers, cheese and bacon, wrap in tortillas and you just have a skillet to clean up.

p.s. - most breakfast places that serve hash browns use freeze-dried. The more you know :)

Abel Villesca

Explorer
I always have a few of those Costco cartons in the chuck box. They make a handy addition to any breakfast when you end up feeding extra people.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Been on the Costco hashbrown wagon for years.
Dehydrated onions will do but a real onion makes the hashbrown. And ketchup. Gotta have ketchup. None of that catsup crap....

Triplesnake

Adventurer
We love these, easy to make, little mess and delicious. We like to fry them up, add bacon, onions and peppers, scramble in eggs, and put them in a tortilla with cheese and salsa for a big fat breakfast taco. What a great way to start the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles